The finds thread

Per Brandon‘s suggestion a thread of rare or interesting finds. I know from his Twitter Brandon is also into finding game stuff at thrift stores. So here to start are some things I’ve found volunteering at an Ewaste recycling center.

A copy of Cory Archangel's Clouds

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/5XPB0kY.jpg]

and a Sega Genesis that was likely used as a test unit at Electronic Arts in the late 80's early 90's

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/zqAtRBp.jpg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/FiRpBPj.jpg]

2 Broken 3DSes that were combined into one

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/rYEI28j.jpg]

Some broken DSes turned into Gameboy Macros

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/TOBLJOw.jpg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/rI9tEQt.jpg]

Got this “gem” recently.

https://imgur.com/a/ZNzzgmu

I found like a million math sharks. That's not particularly good or anything, but… I did find them

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/CxrcWon.jpg]

@KoreanBBQ#496 oh my, I hear that one is truly a treat, of sorts.

We would get a TON of things like that in at Ewaste. A bunch of Leapfrogs or Leapsters, something like that. I always wanted to get like, one solid package of those together and at least try out some of the weird games. There was a Sonic The Hedgehog game on one of them that I remain super curious about, but never had all the pieces to play.

I‘ve got an #ObscureGameOfTheDay hashtag on Twitter where I tweet out brief descriptions of whatever esoteric games I’ve happened to stumble across. That might be relevant.

Bought this in New Zealand for someone in the states. A Tunix Home Arcade.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/FOjc0Oz.jpg]

Is that an intellivison, basically?

Most recently I found this disc with installers for some of the Nexon's earlier MMO games.The games on the disc are: Baram, Elancia, Legend of Darkness, QuizQuiz and Tactical Commanders. Along with that you will get a FREE copy of Netdirect, Netscape and Internet Explorer 5.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/itAk6mB.jpg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/dgAF15V.jpg]

You can use the buttons on the lower bar to start an install/download for the game, read a doc file about the game, or deck out your PC with a sweet screensaver or 4:3 wallpaper.

This screen really interests me. I don't speak Korean, but it seems like a preview for an upcoming game called Amichat. I can't find anything online about it, though.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/48zpuhB.png]

ahhhh, I love that kind of stuff. I used to have a bunch of korean “package game” preview discs from various E3s, some of which I gave to the video game history org, and some of which I guess I lost? But they‘re all non-MMO pc games promoted by whatever government promotional agency had a booth there. There were several games at least partially translated into english - arcturus, corum 3, and a few others that I can’t remember. Her Knights I think was there?

This is giving me some real flashbacks of that stuff!

@exodus#612 it was rebranded under a ton of names. You might know it as the Emerson Arcadia 2001? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_2001

ah, right - I heard the arcadia had a weird 2nd/third life in other countries!

Finally got one of these RG350s a week ago. Took a while to get here from China what with all the restrictions and such. It's been really good for playing PlayStation games.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/jpqNE1V.jpg]

And then this week...
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/hfh4eSP.jpg]

Got another one from a different address! Guess I'll hang onto it for now.

@hellomrkearns#1274 That plays PS1 games you say? That's a really slick little system. I may have to hunt one down myself.

@James-#1278 Yeah! I‘ve been playing Final Fantasy Tactics. There’s a bunch of good emulators on it and you can add more. Got mine on AliExpress but lots of places sell them now. It seems to be the most popular of the recent wave of handhelds.

not especially “rare” but never saw one of these in the wild until a few months ago when I grabbed it from a thrift store here in Australia. I‘ve been using it to make some music and it’s actually got some fun weird features to it that are yielding interesting results. If I can work out a way of exporting the music at a high fidelity I'll drop it somewhere on here.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/WnJ3C14.jpg]

I‘ve seen a few people messing with those RG 350s… it looks nice! I haven’t used an emulator console since the GP32, but this one doessss look appealing.

@breadface that's pretty cool! I wonder how similar it is to MTV Music Generator (also PS1), which Jim Guthrie to make a bunch of the soundtrack for sword and sworcery.

..... actually I looked it up and that's wrong, some music he made with that inspired sword and sworcery and became this music video, but whatever! https://vimeo.com/1662439

@exodus#1285 a quick google has revealed that they are in fact the same game, the MTV tag was added in the NA region ! cooool

I had a suspicion! Nice.