The House that was a videogame

Some of you may have seen this tweet floating around:

https://twitter.com/patrickashe/status/1320658920411697152

After poking around a bit, I have come to the conclusion that yes, 8800 Blue Lick Rd is a videogame, and a good one at that. It's entirely accidental, but it has well paced and interesting discovery, exploration, micro and macro narratives about the space, everything. It raises many questions; if you're observant and thoughtful it answers some of them. This actual house walkthrough is a walking simulator.

I'm going to be thinking about how a videogame __accidentally came into existence__ for a long time. That that could happen at all is just fascinating to me.

I hope it gets preserved in some form. It's too valuable to be lost to the void of dead data on the internet.

@TheFragranceOfDarkCoffee#8219 GOOD LORD THAT PRICE!

By “surprises” they mean bizarre oddities where hillbilly meets modernity. I can't imagine what this place looked like before they cleaned up for the photos. Some Texas Chainsaw Massacre stuff going on here.

I was walking through the house with the Unsolved Mysteries soundtrack going in the background and it really effectively sets the anxiety and uneasiness higher while exploring. Stayed away from looking at the overhead map view for the sake of exploration and found exactly 2 (two) treasures. One upstairs, and another in the (I didn't realize at the time) other connected building.

I got lost about three times in the labyrinthian downstairs area, which seems to be the majority of the house-- twice going in circles and not understanding how I arrived back at where I started. I want to say it's in such disarray because they're in the middle of moving, but it feels like it would still be cursed to go through when everything is back in order. A living space, but since it's also I guess an eBay and maybe third party Amazon seller house, it's gotta be up to business standards with exit signs in weird places and emergency lights.

I found a topless calendar, so this was a good experience for me thanks

Someone found an arm! They're stalking you!

https://twitter.com/AcmeAviation/status/1320744051268792321/photo/1

not to be a killjoy but people online aren't making fun of potentially elderly and/or poor people bc the house is in bad shape are they?

@yeso#8238 Apparently the people living there were running a huge eBay scam.

they were just stealing shit from target nbd

@yeso#8238

That appears to be what is up, yes.

It's just a house that's in bad shape/messy, with a couple of oddities (lots of boxes, exit signs) because they sell stuff online.

Yeah. I got completely lost and felt a bit claustrophobic. Either the place is gigantic, or these aisles are half-a-person wide.

@Geoff#8241 Yeah not to criticize anyone in this thread as I'm sure everyone posting here (whom I assume to be saintly) is finding this more curiosity than poverty shame. So speaking of the “narrative” this situation creates, to me it seems like people having a rough time and apparently barely getting by - if that - and now looking at jail time and their property being sold under duress. Just seems like desperate, compromised living on the margins of the purgatory->hell that is the USA in 2020 unfortunately

Unless I‘m mistaken, this house is not interesting because poor people lived in it, but because it’s been so many things to so many people across so many years (church, business, school, residence) and all those various incarnations are just sitting there right next to each other. I think that even if there weren‘t boxes of stuff all through it it’d be an interesting house to observe, but the fact it is full of dvds and whatnot makes it more level design-y to explore.

I'm optimistically saying it's more the nature of the house than the poverty that has folks exploring every nook and cranny.

(it does suck that folks are getting evicted though, of course, and I felt some real uncomfortableness walking through someone else's living space, someone who appeared to have left 5 minutes before the camera arrived)

I‘m thinking of the response on twitter rather than here. That’s what I intended to mean by “online.” And there people are definitely just gawking voyeuristically and the context is indeed “fraught”

I would say that a game about heroically stealing from target, then reselling the goods through ebay, while XCOM base-management-style stocking your labyrinthine house/facility would be tight

Someone did a “tub% speedrun”

https://youtu.be/1uby8D69Z1U

@yeso#8297 there's no way I could see a game named Shoplifting Tycoon and not play it

The thing that makes this house so interesting to me is definitely that [mouseover for spoilers]( " it presents you first with a bunch of mysterious DVD boxes and as you explore you can discover the machines used to print DVD labels, scrub old DVDs, and print new ones. This purpose of this space not only as a place to fence goods, but also a pretty robust DVD bootlegging operation is fun to discover").

It presents a mystery and, through thorough exploring, allows you to solve it, while being full of all this intersecting history of the past lives of this building. The [mouseover for spoiler]( " labeled bathrooms from its time as a church"), for example. If it was just the house of a hoarder or some poor people, I don't think it would be nearly as interesting to look around.

this mouseover for spoilers thing is pretty neat, I didn't know we could do that!

@TheFragranceOfDarkCoffee#8332 I hear ya, didn't mean to imply anyone here thought differently. Was reacting to twitter vibe.

It is impressive how the layout just keeps going. The lead photo on the ad looks like a side-on view so it's surprising. It does remind me of the videogame experience of going into building and there is way more interior space than there should be

@exodus#8350

@TheFragranceOfDarkCoffee#8332

I do want to note that the mouseover for spoilers thing doesnt really work if you're reading the site on mobile.

I want to note I was already in bed reading on my phone and got up just to check the mouseover for spoilers on my PC. I'd say it was moderately worth it.