The "How to Enjoy" Thread

I remember the topic came up on the podcast a while ago of “How To” guides for enjoying various games. This is something that has interested me for a while, as there are a lot of games (and often whole genres) that need to be treated in a certain way to get into them, and if you play them “wrong” you might bounce off or get a less fun experience.

So this is a thread for talking about games that you feel need to be approached a certain way to get the most out of them, and suggest recommended play-styles.

It can also be a thread to ask about games or genres you want to get into, but always bounce off, and would advice on how to approach them.

I find myself devising ways to have fun in open-ended simulationist games. A recent example is MSFS 2020, for which I used the onair plugin: https://www.onair.company/ which is basically a spreadsheet management game for operating your own airline (cargo, passenger, whatever), and played the game proper to complete flights

Had a whale of a time buying the cheapest, most run down cessna, getting a little IRL buzzed, and delivering medical equipment to Toledo at night, with windows frosted over (couldn't remember where to find de-icing switch). So that would be my "how to:" set up america's most inept air ambulance service and fly around the upper midwest

I don‘t know if it’s updated in recent years (I don‘t visit it that often), but here’s a site for cataloging things you should know before jumping into a given game.

I might make a Quake Thread at some point but if you want to enjoy quake

0) Get a good playlist of heavy metal music
1) Buy the Quake Complete pack on steam
2) Download the source port "[QuakeSpasm](http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/)"
3) Download the quake soundtrack files and get them working with the steam version (I haven't done this)
3.5) There's a program called "[Simple Quake Launcher](https://github.com/m-x-d/Simple-Quake-Launcher-2/releases)" which lets you choose which version/map to launch into, with whichever source port you prefer, which has been very handy for me
4) When you've finished with Quake 1 and (optionally) both single player map packs, get [Quake Injector](https://www.quaddicted.com/tools/quake_injector), which lets you basically browse and download nearly every Quake single player map pack ever made. (this is next on my list)
5) Once you finish this, download Trenchbroom and start making your own levels (this is what I will be doing, hopefully, soonish)

edit: If you'd like to surprise yourself and have a computer with a CD drive, plop in whatever audio CD you want and load up Quake and it plays the 2nd track on the title screen, picking tracks arbitrarily to play during the game. This almost can never go wrong, I played a few levels listening to The Decemberists.

edit 2: Grah I keep coming up with things to add! Anyway keep a set of console commands handy if you get stuck. Like _Give H 100_ to give yourself health, or _Impulse 9_ to give yourself all weapons/ammo. It's fine to cheat! this is early FPS days and the difficulty is all over the place, some rooms are really hard and weren't playtested well, so don't feel bad! have fun!

@Video_Game_King#18793 This is GREAT.

Before finding this podcast/ forum, I viewed games from this perspective already. Like music appreciation, games can be enjoyed from certain angles.

I still need to read that gentleman's guide to fighting games. Of all games I appreciate the art, sound, gameplay of, it just rarely ever "clicked" with me, save for a few times where it was totally incidental, casual play. I never figured out any super advanced moves or tricks or beat arcade mode.

@Video_Game_King#18793 Wow, this is pretty cool.

I'm having a good time reading through the entries for games I have finished, seeing the advice they suggest knowing before going in, and realising I never knew some of them!

At least none of them were game-breaking to not know, but it is interesting to see the tips/tricks that I missed on my playthroughs at least.

(There is one for 13 Sentinels that I did not know, but it didn't really matter as I never really struggled with resources or character power anyway)

@Video_Game_King#18793 This is a good resource! I‘ll be checking back on it once I’m ready to start Tactics Ogre—seems like that kind of game.

One of the tips for Nier is "don't mute the music, it's too good" lol

Anyone got fun tips for enjoying Deadly Premonition? Im about 5 hours in and woke up a little early so I just farted around while I waited for places to open up. I ended up doing a lot of peeking into people's windows.

I don't t have any issues enjoying it yet. It's got a million fun details. I just have a feeling that I've barely scratched the surface of this lil town and it's funny people.

Also, heres something I found very amusing
[URL=https://i.imgur.com/7G2PGKJ.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/7G2PGKJh.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

>

@SuperEffective#18847 Anyone got fun tips for enjoying Deadly Premonition?

Yeah play it with a guide! There's good ones without story spoilers that just direct you to all the missable things and events that happen at specific times. The world is too large and empty, and you'll spend too much time aimlessly driving around for nothing. Highly recommended since the reason you're presumably playing is for the fun character bits.

Also that is a well stocked grocery store! My supermarket only carries Yorkshire and PG Tips, I can never find America Tea.

@bodydouble#18869

Nice! Do you recommend ones from GameFaqs?

@treefroggy#18801 I think the biggest tip to enjoy fighting games is to avoid arcade mode. Fighting game AI is still an unsolved problem, and most fighting game AIs cheat in ways that make the game frustrating, encourage exploitable move spamming, and don't map well towards human vs human play.

The best advice I have is to find a game with rollback netcode (Mortal Kombat 11, anything on Fightcade, or GG Strive when it comes out), pick a character who you like the look and feel of (tiers are usually pretty even in modern patchable fighting games), and learn a simple bread and butter combo in training mode that will do decent damage (depending on the game, usually 30% or 50% for a team fighter).

Once you can convert a stray hit to respectable damage it's a cycle of online play and improving on your weaknesses in training mode. There's a lot to learn: footsies, whiff punishes, option selects, pokes, wakeup pressure, movement, game specific things like jailing in Mortal Kombat. It can be overwhelming. But each one can be isolated and learned by itself in a way that will improve your play and there are some great primers now. This video by Core A Gaming is a great introduction to most of them:

https://youtu.be/_R0hbe8HZj0

@marlfuchs2#18798 Thank you so much for this! I jumped through a bunch of hoops a few months ago to get quakespasm working for Arcane Dimensions (which is fantastic and highly recommended btw!) and I wish I knew about this launcher. Will give it a try!

@SuperEffective#18847 I started playing recently, as well, and I don't think I am quite as far as you. I would definitely appreciate some tips as well! I love this screenshot–it made me think of the Mandela effect episode of How To with John Wilson:

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/h5RNJ92.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/h5RNJ92.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Seconding Arcane Dimensions, it's great.

I'd like to know how to get into map games, from Total War to Paradox to the more grodnardy grand strategy games. I'm fascinated with them and the idea of a genre I could sink an insane amount of hours into without wearing my hands out has always appealed to me, but I just can't get into the right mindset or figure out how to get them to click.

@Video_Game_King#18793

This is a cute idea but glancing through it there's a lot of stuff like this lol

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/SMdQMiC.png][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/SMdQMiC.png[/IMG][/URL]

After watching from the sidelines for many generations, I decided to jump into the Monster Hunter world with…uh… Monster Hunter: World. There are volumes and volumes available about how to approach this series, but I figured this thread seems like a place to drop my 2 cents. It's also worth mentioning that I played pretty much entirely solo, which is more viable than I expected.

The game does a surprisingly good job gradually tutorializing most aspects of gameplay, but the crux of the enjoyment of the game, for me, is the highly technical and methodical combat and weapon mechanics. This is one of the few things that I feel like the game really drops the ball on explaining to the player. There is an area where you can practice with each weapon, but the "tutorial" is a spilled bowl of Alpha Bits cereal worth of commands all over the screen. Just like with fighting games, its less about knowing how to pull off each move and more about the context in which to use them and how to string them together. Furthermore, there are many moves and techniques that are only available after a certain combination of attacks, which are not really surfaced well.

Therefore, I would suggest perusing the excellent weapon tutorials done by [Arekkz gaming](https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHc2Wj95htvMxZR7dvgYwevupNBy9imiu), picking whichever weapon looks fun (I personally started with the charge blade), and spend a little while becoming familiar with the techniques he describes. Once you become even modestly adept at a weapon type, the game becomes extremely rewarding--I am particularly fond of the Gunlance these days.

This may or may not be the best time to get into Monster Hunter: World with Rise on the very near horizon, but having played the demo for the latter I expect this advice to hold and I am sure Arekkz will have an equally thorough set of videos prepared for that game.

@SuperEffective#18847 I would second “use a guide.” There is a website called “Welcome To Greenvale” (I‘ve linked the side missions page, which is the most useful. Watch out for spoilers though.) The in-game side quest menu tells you who to talk to to start it, so this guide is really only important if you find yourself pretty stuck, which is likely because sometimes things aren’t explained well. The menu also tells you when the deadlines are for certain quests, so try to make sure to complete them in time! Most of them have a fairly large window but some are very narrow.

Note that when it says on screen that you have to be at the Art gallery at 18:00, for example, you _don't have to go._ You can just skip it, and run around for an extra day, and come back tomorrow. None of the story missions are time sensitive in that way.

To get the best weapons, and some of the trading cards, you have to replay the combat missions! They will show up as a purple circle on your map. This is how you get most of the infinite-durability weapons.

There is a side quest early on for George. Completing it will give you a fast-travel item if you want. Personally, I preferred just driving around, but some people find it comes in handy. (I've never actually used it, I don't think, lol.)

Side quests and re-doing the missions are the most important thing. Also, yeah, wandering around and looking at the funny signs on the walls of buildings, and hanging out at the grocery store, peeking in windows... that's the best part of the game. So good to see that you are having fun with that! Definitely check out people's houses, and go to the Mechanic Guy and buy their cars! They all have their own theme song. It's fun. And go eat lunch at the police station sometimes! There are hidden cutscenes.

Always keep a flare and watch your gas meter.... Being stranded way out on one of the highways is hilarious but also it takes forever to run back to civilization lol.

I think that's all I've got.

@MichaelDMcGrath#18895 I‘ve already learned plenty of that vocabulary from Smash Bros. and I didn’t enjoy it beyond the technical achievement. I don‘t have much of a fighter’s spirit. I feel bad for overpowering people most of the time. It becomes monotonous. I also memorized Yoshimitsu‘s combos in Tekken 2 and beat arcade mode that way. Soul Calibur 1 and 2’s mission modes also did a great job at teaching the moves and the game, I wish every fighting game had something like that.

But aside for casual play, I don‘t think I enjoy higher level competition at all. I’ve been to hundreds of smash meetups, I had smash roommates and wherever I travel now I usually go just to socialize in a friendly gamer environment. But when it comes to actually playing in a bracket, I hate it. The most fun I ever had was project M crew battles at smash meetups, because I was fighting for my team.

So I think I may never be that into fighters, beyond styling on people with Ness. It also doesn‘t help that I find any recent Mortal Kombat games to be a disgusting and stupid appeal to the lowest common denominator. I have 0 interest in modern fighters of any kind. I’m just talking about the classic SNK and Capcom ones that I appreciate the art and grew up playing.

Still, I need to read that article.