the mortal enemy of videogames

we went to the mishima museum yesterday. it was very surreal. for one, it’s on what seems to be a less popular lake of mt fuji (yamanakako). on the way you pass by kawaguchi, which is the popular lake town that was filled with not only foreign tourists but plenty of japanese families celebrating golden week. yamanakako in contrast was much sleepier, a bit more rural and frankly a bit less striking.

the museum is in a “forest path of literature,” which makes the second path of literature i’ve walked this trip. you walk a short trail crossing streams and passing by large moss covered rocks before arriving at the building which is ostensibly modeled after mishima’s house.

the exhibition itself is very small—only one room. my wife and i stayed there a good hour or more and were only joined by one other person who left shortly after entering. pictures weren’t allowed for stated copyright reasons, but i still managed to take some:

pictures

the first question the museum asks is “why did we build this in yamanakako?” the answer is that mishima briefly wrote about it in two of his books and drew a small map of the area once.

the unique logic displayed there set the tone for the rest of the museum. you’d be shown notes and rough drafts of confessions of a mask with a placard that states “this novel is where mishima wrestled his homosexuality,” then a little down the way you’d be shown “ and this is the diary of his first year of marriage” with no connecting tissue. in a similar way, you’d be told “mishima became a superstar in his thirties with acting, modeling, and body building. he also gained international acclaim” before the next section ominously said “then he started getting into politics.” at this point i realized the museum was curated with help from the family and the estate.

there was only a paragraph or so about his death. there was a much stronger emphasis placed on the sea of fertility tetralogy (for some reason i remember the museum saying “in these books mishima asked ‘what is human? what is modernity?’”$

so overall a surreal experience but one i was glad to have. seeing the reproduction of his office and bookshelf was one of the coolest things i’ve seen, and i loved seeing the rare photographs, notebooks, and childhood drawings.

after the museum we rented a tiny paddle boat and fed swans in the lake. by that point the weather had cleared up a bit and we got a good view of mt fuji. i gotta tell you, as someone who had no particular interest in seeing mt fuji, that thing is really breathtaking.

6 Likes

i foolishly packed the books i brought with me into our checked luggage, so i bought the remains of the day at the airport as it was one of the few english books available and i’d been meaning to read it for quite some time now.

it was great and beguiling. it’s ultimate arc and structure is telegraphed early on and the literary tricks it pulls are both loud and sometimes obvious, but this is also what made the book so good? it was like seeing an artistic masterpiece drawn in crayon.

5 Likes

It makes for a very interesting comparison with An Artist of the Floating World, his previous novel. Very similar stories about introspective older men contemplating their lives/mistakes. I’ve heard murmurings (I can’t remember where) that Ishiguro felt like his work wasn’t being taken seriously when it was focused on Japanese people/stories and so he essentially re-wrote An Artist of the Floating World as Remains of the Day to appeal to a British audience. I prefer his first effort, which is sparser, but the aforementioned literary tricks of Remains of the Day have appeal too and I’m glad to hear you vibed with them

4 Likes

oh interesting–i’ll want to read that.

yeah, remains was interesting because one of the key colors is the heightened and restrained prose is a blunt characterization and also serves as a comedic device. but i still sincerely liked it at face-value?

the book moved me in the same way an ac/dc song sometimes makes you go “fuck yeah.” i asked myself if i was really falling for this and the answer was “yeah, i guess i am.” particularly the stuff with the father.

2 Likes

Finally got around to reading Bartleby the Scrivener and started White-Jacket right afterwards. Having a great time. I was reading Bartleby on the plane and it just dawned on me that I was giggling out loud here and there…got me looking like a darn fool.

4 Likes

White-Jacket is pretty good I think.

Moby-Dick
The Confidence Man
Billy Budd
Mardi
Redburn (second half)
White-Jacket
Typee/Omoo
Redburn (first half)
Pierre
Israel Potter

3 Likes

At this point that man could talk/write about anything and I would read it. Dont know about y’all but I Highly Appreciate a yeso ranking

2 Likes

My order would look something like this:

Moby-Dick
Pierre, or the Ambiguities
Mardi
Typee/Omoo
The Confidence-Man
Redburn
White-Jacket

although this is the first I’ve ever thought of it. Haven’t read Billy Budd or Israel Potter yet.

1 Like

agree to disagree about Pierre, but The Confidence Man that low ?? First time long time, I’ll take my answer off the air

1 Like

not that I’ve been to many, but the literary museums I’ve been to have all sort of been that way: somewhat tenuously situated vs the author’s context and kind of on a shoe string and cobbled together. I think most of the really interesting archival objects as in manuscripts and errata are usually in university libraries. The Hemingway museum in Oak Park, IL is like here’s the house he grew up in and we have it kind of set up how it would have been when he was here… The Faulkner house was kind of the same. The Richard Wright, Lorraine Hansberry, and Carl Sandburg houses in Chicago are all just like people’s regular houses. I don’t have any solid bucket list items, but will admit one is to visit the César Vallejo house/museum in Santiago de Chuco, but that’s just intersting for making the journey out there. Looks like a fascinating place. I like just street viewing around the town. I’ll make it there some day :star2::sparkles: :stars::pray: :kaaba:

2 Likes

It’s only “low” in a relative sense. All four books above it are among my favourite novels. A lot of the enjoyment I get out of Melville’s works is based on gaining an understanding of the person who wrote Moby-Dick. So I prefer the novels that reveal the most about young Melville’s character / imagination, those being Pierre, Mardi, and Typee. If I separated out Omoo, it would probably go near the bottom of the list, since I don’t even remember it particularly well. I think Confidence Man is a very cool and unique work, but I prefer the wild abandon of young Melville.

1 Like

the only others i can recall visiting is the kafka museum in prague and the halldor laxness museum in iceland. the latter was the “some dudes house” variety but the kafka museum had some pizzazz behind it, probably because kafka is a cultural institution now. but i agree with you—i think any author museum is better as a curio or roadside attraction. in case it wasn’t clear, i thought the most interesting thing about the mishima museum was what they left out and how they tried to position mishima as a beloved worldwide best selling novelist who had some funky political ideas.

but yeah the journey out there was cool and brought me somewhere i wouldn’t have been otherwise… i hope you make it to the vallejo museum soon.

1 Like

I gotcha yeah. the mishima museum is in a tricky spot politically and from an audience standpoint bc I’m sure some adherents are there hoping to see fascist stuff. The man himself didnt help his legacy by cashing in his chips on being a weird crackpot of course.

Was close to buying Peru tickets a couple years ago, but that’s when things got wild politically. No personal safety concerns, but I have to get back to work on time and couldnt risk getting stuck extra days. Will make it in the next year or two I expect!

Pierre was 1852 and The Confidence Man was 1857. But granted I always have to remind myself of that since TCM is filed away as his “last” novel, which makes it seem like it was from the 80’s. But he spent like 25 years doing that customs job and not much else until Billy Budd. TCM is sort of an outlier for how modulated and precise it is. Hard to square with the Romances. May have mentioned this here before, but I can’t get past thinking of Pierre as gothic pastiche. It’s got some weirdness in it though that’s true. Don’t know if you’re a Malcolm Lowry fan, but I remember reading in a biography about how Pierre was a major point of contention between him and Conrad Aiken (this is meaningless to anyone not really into Under The Volcano)

ngl the mototaxi designs go kinda hard…

1 Like

I’m going to get a rad alpaca sweater, a cool hat, going to get some of that coca candy that’s illegal here and have myself a grand old time

3 Likes

True; I often forget how close they are. There’s definitely a maturity in the construction of Confidence-Man that is not present during the period when he was wildly pumping out basically a novel every year, peaking stylistically with Moby-Dick and then emotionally with Pierre. It covers the events from a more detached perspective, without as much of a personal stake in the game as the earlier, more autobiographical novels, and is far less prone to digression. To me, that patience and detachment marks the major difference between “young Melville” and his later work. I will admit, however, that I’m not too familiar with the short stories that come between the two, outside of Bartleby.

1 Like

I did a “literary tour of England” as a school trip back in the day so I’ve done a couple of these author house/museums. They’re universally a pretty weird experience - I don’t think I’d really recommend going out of your way for most of them, but they do have some appeal. Depending on the town/stature of the author, it can become an entire event ala a theme park (e.g. Shakespeare in Stratford, Austen in Bath)

Our path kinda made a weird Z-shape across England (Manchester → Lake District (Wordsworth) → Haworth (Brontes) → York (I think we went to a castle or something) → Stratford-Upon-Avon (Shakespeare) → Oxford (CS Lewis/JRR Tolkien) → Bath (Austen) → London (Dickens, Globe Theater, British Library)

I kinda liked visiting the Bronte house in Haworth. The better parts of it were the “house” parts - seeing the desk Charlotte wrote Jane Eyre at and such - kinda neat. The worst parts were the museum parts.

I think what really elevated it was a bit of a happy accident - within 60 seconds of getting out of the car we got absolutely soaked by this crazy torrential downpour. Really was a moment of like, yea, I get why their writing is the way it is. Sun came out by the end of the trip and there was a cute little fudge shop around the corner

5 Likes

as a pretentious college student, I struggled through Ulysses for years, but finished it before I actually visited Ireland. The last chapter has them picnicking at Howth and I went to approximately the location the last scene takes place. yes!

4 Likes

my memory on Melville biography is hazy but iirc Pierre was the forced stab at relevance so maybe I haven’t given it fair appraisal. The short fiction has some real high points. If you haven’t read “Benito Cereno” you should make it a priority. Makes the continuity to The Confidence-Man more apparent

Re-reading Blood Meridian for the first time in maybe 10 years. I remember thinking it was ok but didn’t get the acclaim. I now think it’s I hate to say it boring and silly. Being honest not trying to be a cool contrarian. The incessant terse, declarative sentences is just a drag. Sometimes there’s a striking cinematic effect, but there are long stretches that feel like being force-marched. The comparisons to Faulkner are, even a millimeter beneath the surface, totally baffling to me. Southern? Check. Violence? Check. But I mean come on, Faulkner is much more versatile, introspective, and weirder. The hyper-focus on “violence” in BM just seems kind of dumb to me. I don’t understand why it’s supposed to be some kind of elemental depiction of human nature: psychopathic violence is sordid and pathetic (Light In August gets this) idk why I’m to assume or ought to find myself convinced it has some deeper meaning that is elicited by “unflinching” depiction. Contrast with a sort of mirror image novel The Tree of Man by Patrick White, which is thematically aligned and similar in subject matter but takes a different path. You have Guyotat and de Sade who at least admit to the puerile (which is part of the horror) and Lamborghini who connects to the political. Idk, I don’t think BM or McCarthy in general (haven’t read all his books) is all that meaningful. I think it’s real Conservative and pretentious I’m sorry

9 Likes