The post-arrival exhibition thread

So as I promised, I'm finally going to start posting about the games @“treefroggy”#449 sent me a few weeks back. This thread can also serve as a place for other people to talk about stuff they got from other forums posters!

I originally thought I'd play through the more interesting seeming games I received and try to do some fairly extensive write-ups, since there aren't that many reviews of them on the internet -- but that is too much work. So instead, we get to talk about _BastarD!! 暗黒の破壊神_. To keep this fun (?) for everyone, I will rely solely on my fake-Japanese (i.e. guessing the meanings of things based on only knowing the Chinese characters) to reconstruct what this game is and not look anything up. You can call this an Anti-Knowledge playthrough. I'm pretty sure this and most of the other games I'm going to be playing are available in English though, so feel free to actually understand them if you'd like!

The main gameplay of BastarD has two characters on two separate planes in a pseudo-3D Mode 7 world blasting fireballs/electro-beams/claws/etc at each other. Here's what this looks like:
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/92z8keM.jpeg]
You can fly around all four directions of the plane you're in, or press L to switch planes. This also causes your opponent to switch planes, so no one can ever actually be in the same plane at the same time. To do a normal attack you use A, B, X, and Y to shoot. Your bullets have a curve to them that corresponds to the relative direction of the button you pressed (i.e. A curves right, B curves down, X curves up, and Y curves right). Then you can do spell signs by holding R and entering in commands, which are just sequences of face buttons. You can also tap R twice for a special ability.
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/VhF5xhy.jpeg]
In story mode you play as a tiny timid boy, ルーシェ (Rushe?) who, when kissed by (his girlfriend?) Yoko, transforms into the evil but beautiful magician Dark Schneider. Dark Schneider was defeated fifteen years ago, but now he's back, and bent on world domination. Whenever he dies he turns back into Rushe and screams for Yoko to kiss him again.
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/bf4So0K.jpeg]
Anyways, it's based on some manga. I'm sure there's an intrepid Insert Credit forums poster who has obsessively read it at some point in their life and could explain the story further if they so desire.

Here is Dark Schneider's bio + spell signs:
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/0M4YIEt.jpeg]
The two that I've found most useful are 爆裂焼球, which quickly fires a bunch of shots that auto-targets the enemy while keeping Dark Schneider stationary (and therefore vulnerable), and 鋼雷破弾, which creates a bullet that chases the enemy around.

All the footage on youtube of this game seems to just be people pressing random buttons and fumbling around. No one is using any spell signs! Here's a video to give you an idea of how the game plays, but it makes the game a lot less interesting looking than it actually is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5yh4tDDmpo

All in all, I think this is neat! The dialogue is very dumb, but the fights are interesting. Some of the enemies in story mode (e.g. Arshes Nei) have attacks that make the game almost feel like an STG, where you're dodging mildly interesting bullet patterns. A lot of the backgrounds are fantastic looking. It's just plays very idiosyncratically and takes awhile to figure (and I'm not sure figuring it out is necessarily rewarding). I'm sure I'm missing out a lot by not knowing any of the source material. I'll probably play some more. I can sort of see myself becoming obsessed with this (especially if I had someone to try out the multiplayer with).

Below I have some pictures of the box, cart and interesting pages from the manual, as well all the character's spell signs, in case you want to actually play this. A few of the pictures are borderline NSFW, so make sure no judgmental person is standing behind your shoulder before you click!

>!

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/HM6TddB.jpeg] [upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/Ua1ek6L.jpeg] [upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/x1ekQlC.jpeg] [upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/9OLDEsb.jpeg] [upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/pddl8ND.jpeg] [upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/rE0maUG.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/4AwWHt1.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/PtdabIq.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/Vd3bdT2.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/pUR4Oow.jpeg]

@“saddleblasters”#p65072 Wow, jaw dropped. You actually did a write up for the games I shipped to you. I got most of these games because of the art and I wanted to know what the manuals looked like inside! Now you‘ve immortalized them in this thread, so I can still look at it all I want! I noticed the same thing about the gameplay on youtube being totally oblivious to special moves. That’s exactly like if the only footage of street fighter II was the player using only basic punches and kicks and no hadoukens or flying bird kicks or what have you. On my own I figured out how to do a couple special moves!

I expect that when one commits to the mechanics, it becomes really fun and satisfying to pull off moves. The graphics are out of this world, and I recall the music being good as well... it's like F-zero meets Street Fighter meets Slayers. So I'm sure there's plenty in store cutscene and character drama wise, not to mention the different **_boards_**. I even had a few two-player rounds with friends a couple times.

I need to make sure this one is on my flashcart!!

A side note I noticed some Super Famicom game boxes have a little Proof of Purchase tag you were meant to cut out of the box itself, and I've even found copies in the past that had the PoP cut out, like a copy of Ganbare Goemon I once had.
If there's any argument for whether you're allowed to own a ROM legally, that little piece of cardboard should've been all we ever needed to make it a moot point. LOL

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/tFnBIkS.jpeg]

Today a bunch of buddies from @ana showed up at my door! All safe and sound in gorgeous condition, of course. Something I was thinking about doing is playing every game on that Taito Legends 2 for at least an hour over the course of a couple live streams (there‘s a couple I know I would want to play to completion as well, regardless of how long it would take). I’ll be sure to let you guys know when that starts happening - and thanks @ana again for sending these over my way!!

@“Funbil”#p65968 nice!

Sorry for my packaged-by-a-5-year-old looking envelope lol

There are some excellent games on that Taito Legends, my favs are Elevator Action Returns and Darius Gaiden

Speaking of Bastard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4zSf3CfRA