The video game to intrusive thought pipeline

There are some games just seem to keep breaking through my general brain fog at random times, not in a contemplative way but in way but more of a “hey, remember when you where here?” thing. The past year I often find this happening with The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa, I'm not really thinking about the game but I am remembering the feeling of being inside it.

Feel free to add which of your _game spaces_ keep making into the _brain space_.
:)

so an atmospher/narrative kind of tetris effect, then? that's pretty cool

back when silent hill 2 dropped, i was in a pretty bad place. i saw every ending, but then found myself wandering about the apartments/streets for....lore? i don't know, combat was never really an issue, so items didn't mean a lot. having seen the secret/cool dog ending, i knew the curtain had closed, but i wasn't ready to leave that place & the melancholy it was wrapped in, between the horrors

there's definitely more positive examples of this though!

I generally get this with game mechanics.

Been playing portal? You could put a portal on that newly painted wall.

Been playing TotK? You could ascend through that overhang.

Been playing Horizon Zero Dawn? The yellow stuff on that wall must mean it's scalable.

@“Squish”#p124341 Been playing Tony Hawk? You can skate that for a million point combo.

the dangerous example of that is playing too much Katamari then getting behind the wheel

It’s Gran Turismo for me. I get behind the wheel of my real world car and look for the apex of the corner of my 5mph right hand turn at a red light.

I distinctly remember the summer Wind Waker came out I couldn’t stop thinking about grapple-hooking and L-targeting everything

Jet Set Radio had me briefly thinking about grinding on everything back in the early 2000’s!

@“Squish”#p124341 the strongest memory i have of this is when i played crackdown, and as i got more of the jumping orb things i‘d be walking around my neighbourhood going like "can’t get there yet“ or ”i could get there now"

Yakuza and Dragon Quest make me want to take up gambling as a hobby. You can't lose!! And if you do, just get in fights outside for some extra money and then go back in.

the witness does this real strongly

This is a bit darker but a lot of games definitely make shooting a gun at a living target seem extremely cool

@“2501”#p124398 yeah I would say in general there‘s something about playing a lot of video games that abstracts violence from pain. Like if you’re sitting there playing Tekken for a few hours, you get how your character taking punches could lead to losing the match or dying or feeling injured afterwards, but it‘s like you forget that all those individual punches would cause a ton of pain. Very dreamlike- fear, excitement, movement, but no pain. And going off your point, when I’m shooting someone in Counter Strike or Time Splitters or whatever, I imagine their character feeling a light sting, if anything, from the bullet. It's weird.

I was helping someone move the other day and it went the way it always does: at first you‘re just moving boxes and everything’s going fast, everyone‘s helping, everything fits on the truck nice and square. Then, you get to the furniture, the oddly sized and shaped objects that take time to maneuver, and the complicated pieces that need to be padded or packaged or taken apart. When this happens, it’s inevitable that for some people, the best thing they can do is just stay out of the way.

In these moments, I feel like at RTS unit that completed his last job and is waiting to be clicked on so I can do another useful thing. I also think: this move would be going so much faster if a Korean eSports player was in charge, clicking everyone into the next right move.

@“rearnakedwindow”#p124756 Yeah, and I think especially with the verisimilitude of first-person and shooters’ frequent pursuit of (varying degrees of) aesthetic realism, the FPS really wants you to feel like you understand what firing a gun and being in a combat situation is like, even if you objectively do not. (Though, interesting side note: I had a teacher in high school who’d done tours in Iraq and refused to either A) talk about his combat experiences beyond general details and B) play Call of Duty 4, despite students frequently badgering him about both.) (Another interesting side note: I recently read a pretty good essay - the old-fashioned lettery kind, which I like better than the newfangled video version - pondering the phenomenon of zoomers who play a thousand hours of Hearts of Iron and think they deeply understand WWII history, and then in some cases begin identifying with the fascists for aesthetic reasons.)

Even beyond aesthetics though, I think the FPS taps straight into some kind of residual hunter-gatherer and/or tribal warrior impulse that accounts for its sheer psychological intensity. The very geometry of them gets imprinted on your brain. The act of tracking a target down sights, lining up the shot, even aiming for vulnerable body parts and feeling the burst of satisfaction when you see them stagger and bleed - it all becomes second nature in a way you can perceive when you aren’t playing the game. You look at a real-life landscape with your own eyes and think about what location would make a good cover or sniping spot. You can sort of abstractly understand how the Columbine kids could _feel like_ their attack was going to be “just like _Doom_”, even knowing logically that shooting up an actual school building of actual unarmed innocents wouldn’t be very much at all like mowing down cartoon demons in a dimension with no reloading and no X-axis.

Obviously all this simulacra/simulation intruding on reality stuff predates video games entirely - you’ve got action movies, war reenactments, etc. - but there’s definitely something new about the raw sensory power of video games to Tetris Effect your brain that make them uniquely disturbing.

i've been playing a looottttt of lost judgement this past week, and i was out walking around yesterday and every time i saw graffiti on a building my brain immediately processed it as one of these

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/JKfFsWx.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/JKfFsWx.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This thing of thinking about being inside the video game space also seems to be coming up in painting a bit lately.

Literally this is pretty much Jesse Morsberger‘s whole thing.

But there’s also a fair bit of crossover in of this guy Michael Gao's stuff as well

I used to sometimes think about what slots my equipment fit into like in an RPG, especially in winter when I have to wear a full suit of insulating armour to leave the house. I would think up item descriptions for them and stat bonuses like “Punk Toque—not actually all that punk, +5 ice resistance.”

Also the last time I was drinking energy drinks regularly I thought of myself pulling a potion out of my inventory and of the prompt after drinking one "… You felt a little less world-weary."

i was at a bar with my partner last night, sitting outside, and i had my head on their shoulder. there was a very tall tree above us. in the darkness, the leaves looked black - like, nighttime black - while the sky looked more like a shadowy grey, and where it met the leaves it formed what seemed to be the outline of buildings. i briefly felt incredibly confused, because it looked like a skybox - the closest analogue might be sonic adventure, though i'm not totally sure. it just looked like infinite sky above and detail-less silhouettes of apartment buildings going below the horizon.

@"MidBuck"#p125369 kristoffer zetterstrand does this too! i love this series he did:

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/At8KrIy.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/At8KrIy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/Jv4LpUQ.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Jv4LpUQ.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/6QxVZUG.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/6QxVZUG.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

@“leah”#p125422 oh wow, those are really cool!