What's that (obscure!) game!?

2 Likes

I like that that’s a different direction of obscurity!!!

Now face this trial that I have devised… if you DARE!

2 Likes

The fidelity looks like either DS or PSP but I didn’t recognize it yet. I’m going to guess the obscure DS game Blood of Bahamut.

2 Likes

I also think DS and will say Nostalgia.

2 Likes

Great guesses, but alas, it’s not DS! To me, the dithering’s the iconic bit of this console’s look. Here’s another redacted scroot:

Hmmm iconic dithering would be genesis (obviously not), pc-98 or other micro computers (also not) or Saturn, but this isn’t a Saturn game. So… Hmm! Bart kinda looks familiar though

1 Like

Gotta be Tokobot right??

3 Likes

Nothin’ but net!!! Tokobot; the PSP original! Incredible dunk!

I can’t say I particularly recommend the game – it’s ostensibly about gathering new abilities for your little pack of robotic buddies, but far from being new movement abilities or the like, a majority of them are glorified keys: Press circle next to an object that requires the somethin’-somethin’ ability, and it plays an animation and allows you to you pass.

I greatly enjoy that it turns into Irritating Stick for about ten minutes in the middle of it all, though!

3 Likes

I only ever played this game because I was looking through a list of ISOs one day and my brain lit up when I read “Toke-o-bot” lol

I’ll get a screenshot up in a bit!

4 Likes

Sorry for the delay! Here it is:

I honestly don’t know what constitutes “obscure” on this particular forum. So forgive me if this is overkill or way too easy because I can’t tell the difference!!

4 Likes

Shoot, this looks so familiar. I feel like this is one of those indie games from 2005 that tried something. Name is escaping me

2 Likes

This is a real-deal old videogame I’m afraid. Released in October 1981.

2 Likes

Ohhhh, hold up, is this Space Mouse? I’m only aware of it thanks to Mindware’s 2016 remake and 2020 sequel (incidentally starring the spritesona of dōjin developer Neko800, whose 3DS Balloon Fight-like I localized a few years back). I met the Mindware guy at Game Legend – he’s a lovely bloke, and we shared an awkward moment where he asked what my Twitter is so he could follow it… and it turned out he was already following me, but I wasn’t following him. Woopsi doopsi.

Space Mouse is one of those games where I feel like if you know you know, and if you don’t you don’t: It’s a certified classic if you’re into Japanese vintage home computers more primitive than the PC-88 or MSX – the issue being that it’s a fairly slim segment of the population that are into Japanese vintage home computers, let alone the less celebrated ones, hahah. Certainly qualifies as obscure.

3 Likes

It is Space Mouse!! I’m glad you got it because I pretty quickly realized I was in over my head with this pick lol. I also only know it because of the Mindware remake, and I didn’t anticipate the original game being so hard to research or make connections to. That’s what I get for accidentally picking a type-in game for the PC-8001!

Couple neat things I found in the research process:

5 Likes

I’m super happy to see Space Mouse! :blush: I never knew it was a type-in game. That’s fantastic.

“A type-in game for the PC-8001” does make it sound too obscure, but here we are: Once again, it is proven that a game is not “too obscure” as long as there’s one weirdo that happens to know it, Slumdog Millionaire-style.

1 Like

My next pop quiz for y’all – seeing as I am a super mystery king, here’s a super mysterious one:

I’ll give this one p’raps about a day before I venture out to collect some more screenshots, because mamma mia, I can’t imagine this one screenshot I had lying around of this game will tell anyone much of anything.

4 Likes

Question: is this actually a PS1 game, or is it merely a modern game in the style of a PS1 game?

4 Likes

Actual PS1! Though I’d love a contemporary game that looks like this.

3 Likes

I bring before you today a video of this video game (that’s half the concept!!!), with some key bits edited out (right before each ✕ and ◯, as you might imagine).

That chain is entirely unexplained, by the dubs. It just decides to appear. You would not believe how far I had to hoist my jaw back up again.

3 Likes

Hmmm my first instinct was Not Treasure Hunter but I don’t know if that character is in there? Looks cool and weird though, I already want to try it.

2 Likes