What's the game that made you realize "videogames could be bad"??

When I was a kid, I only had a few games for PS1 — Bugs Life, 1Xtreme, Crash Bandicoot 3, THPS2, THPS3, Twisted Metal 2 aaaaand Rugrats: Search for Reptar. Just the typical PS1 lineup.

I played Rugrats pretty sparingly, mostly in between other games, but never for very long. I remember there being some fun there, with some creative variety, but I distinctly remember a moment playing a stage where I was locked in a toy store after they'd closed — I didn't know what I needed to do or where to go and there were these clown dolls that kept attacking (a baby, mind you!!) and killing me. It was absurd.

I remember, so distinctly, just thinking to myself, _"Why am I playing this?_"

>

@“hellomrkearns”#p153041 I grew up on 2600. I’m surprised I realized that games could be good.

I grew up with an Intellivision (until getting a 286 PC compatible in 1990), so pretty much everything I played is a candidate for the [worst games you like](https://forums.insertcredit.com/d/421-worst-games-that-you-like-or-even-love/) thread.

As for a soul-crushing "...oh. oh no." type moment regarding games, that probably happened some time during primary school. We had apple II/e's in the computer room, and at the risk of ruffling a feather: I haaaaaaaaated Kings Quest. That might be the first "oh wow this is bad" game I can remember.

I dug Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) for PS3 out of a bargain bin when I was eight, my dad was like “oh yeah I‘ve heard of Sonic, that’s gonna be a good one!”

@“hellomrkearns”#p153041 I too grew up with a 2600. It certainly made me question why Pac-Man was such a big deal.

@“tomjonjon”#p153080 Same here about the 2600, but oddly enough my diseased brain processed 2600 Pacman as good actually (2600 Donkey Kong too, somehow).

For me, it took until the NES era and renting literally everything they had for it over time to realize games could be bad, although I don't remember exactly which game caused me to think that because there are literally tons of shit NES games!

@“frog”#p153061 I‘m a sonic 06 defender, but I went into the game understanding its reputation. I think it’s bad but in a charming way and also not the worst sonic (which is Heros :] )

@“Connor”#p155905 I‘m actually in the same boat, there’s some fun stuff going on in that game. Unfortunately 8 year-old me did not appreciate the nuance.