what's the Vulfpeck of video games?

???

Videoball

I'm going to test this theory by putting on a youtube mix of Vulfpeck and play a bit of Videoball with the music off

Hmm. Maybe

My reasoning is as follows:

• - Technical skill
  • - Focus in creative purpose (distillation)
  • - Clutch/In The Pocket
  • - A whole lotta fun
  • - Disarmingly cool white guys being involved
  • - That's cool white guys in that sense of white guys not _trying_ to be more cool than they are, which is deeply profoundly uncool, but if they get good enough at what they do they can still be cool
  • If it isn't clear I like Vulfpeck quite a lot

there is so much to unpack here bc vulfpeck in my experience carries a lot of baggage. their music qualifies for me as like, the favorite band of someone who just got back from their freshmen year of music school. that is, the band is technically impressive and obviously well informed of the history influencing their music but does little to transcend themselves beyond that and instead opts to settle for something comfy, idealistic, and imo - commercial. whole milk music. not to suggest that this is inherently a bad thing, but exploring this side of vulfpeck i think is necessary for trying to determine what the “vulfpeck of video games” is.

the first thing that comes to mind for me is . . . A Short Hike which is also a well conceived, well executed, small, inoffensive piece of art. this too feels like, the favorite game of a student after their first year of game development school. it embodies the purest distillation of so much "essential" game design while having a contemporary and accessible style. however, it ultimately fails to transcend beyond its own world into anything really exciting - it almost feels like a technical exercise, like a really good class project. which is also how vulfpeck feels. there's not a lot of soul or personality in either to really make me excited or shout about it. its just, a very well conceived piece of mediocrity.

due to circumstances beyond my control, this labor day i saw sylvan esso in their first concert since the plague. never had heard of them before, and they were pretty cool, but it made me notice something about my musical tastes over the years: when i was younger i was drawn to music, and any art really, because of the drama in it, but these days i‘m not interested in that, and i’m drawn to stuff by its playfulness. i may like music that i liked back then, but for different qualities.

one thing led to another and this question popped into my head.

I also love playful music - especially stuff that relies on a lot of interesting texture / instruments and improvisation

https://youtu.be/on7PN0eJFjM

@“Gaagaagiins”#p42683 i've been thinking about this all night. here are my thoughts:

vulfpeck is a throwback, and specifically a throwback to a time in pop music that the bulk of their audience wasn't around for. and videoball is like asteroids meets pong. not only does it play like a game made in the late 70's, but it looks like how they would've wanted their games to look back then.

but then, besides being kind of a throwback, vulfpeck is incredibly adept at using social media to get an audience. i first heard them while driving back home from dropping my son off at preschool-- my local jazz station played "first place" on their "new jazz for lunch" show. a big exclamation point appeared over my head, and i waited in my driveway to catch the name of the band. maybe a year later i saw their video for "birds of a feather", a video expertly crafted to be shared. from then they've grown their fanbase to the point they could [screw spotify over](https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepify).

videoball, on the other hand, didn't do well, and, if i'm not mistaken, it was tim and co. that got screwed by their publisher. on this point the comparrison doesn't work.

but tim rogers himself, maybe he's the vulfpeck of videogames, or more specifically of videogame journalism. he's as savvy as vulfpeck, has at least as strong of a core of followers.

is he a throwback though? does a new tim rogers video feel like getting a new issue of your favorite videogame magazine to anyone else?

@“pasquinelli”#p42732 sylvan esso being mentioned in a video game related context is enough for me to share this music video they did on animal crossing, they are great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A2r4fI2gSs

which is kind of a recreation of this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eruW1KHcxc

@“穴”#p42803 that's pretty rad

88 Heroes — as in it’s kinda retro and something I only experienced while dating a previous partner. I had a pretty fun time with it but was very confused by everything going on.

https://youtu.be/r8iWbOhrKgE
    https://youtu.be/jOOItHBd_Po

@“jaws”#p42811 i got pretty excited when snake from snake made an appearence in that 88 heroes game

>

@“pasquinelli”#p42801 videoball, on the other hand, didn’t do well, and, if i’m not mistaken, it was tim and co. that got screwed by their publisher. on this point the comparrison doesn’t work.

I was not really all that aware that Videoball was a flop! I actually bought it for the first time only a handful of days ago, even. I guess that explains why I couldn't find a single match online, even though I already knew Videoball is a game that is probably not going to be well served to online play anyway.

That's unfortunate to hear especially if it had something to do with something as frustrating as it flopping because of a publisher. Especially because Tim is actually objectively correct about Videoball. It's an exquisitely crafted beast. I had been playing it for less than an hour before I was a firm believer, and that is just up against the AI, which is not all that smart at all.

Tim Rogers..... if you're out there..... and you can hear me........... I want you to know that there are people out there who want to see Videoball: Vindication Edition, the improvement of which is really only possible by puttin' in that 4K.

>

@“pasquinelli”#p42801 but tim rogers himself, maybe he’s the vulfpeck of videogames, or more specifically of videogame journalism. he’s as savvy as vulfpeck, has at least as strong of a core of followers.

Tim is way too much of a maverick himself be Vulfpeck-esque. As much as I don't share @"dicegame"#105's, if they don't mind me describing the tenor of their post myself, distaste for that squeaky clean white boy aspect to Vulfpeck, I can't disagree with their assessment of Vulfpeck as truly one of the least transgressive musical acts out there. I knew they were That kind of prodigy-esque university jazz program boys before I even bothered to look it up.

Intentionally stupid answer here, but if Friend of the Forum Tim Rogers is any "the [band] of videogames," he's the large prime numbers of videogames... heheh

>

@“Gaagaagiins”#p42833 the large prime numbers of videogames… heheh

you've got me there

@“Gaagaagiins”#p42833 you‘ve brought something else to mind, referring to vulfpeck as untransgressive: can music be transgressive? art? can any piece of culture? isn’t culture, in that sense, just people pretending there's something more going on than exploitation?

i'm sure there's some italian marxist whose written extensively about this very topic, but if i'm honest i don't like reading that much.

i was just listening to [this](https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/year-zero-5-uncanny-alley-9-11-at-the-bleeding-edge/id1227003413?i=1000534511191) yesterday, and they kept coming back to--what was the exact term? MFA to CIA pipeline i think it was.

anyway, if it ever has been or not, art can't be transfressive now because not only does no one care, no one's paying attention.

>

@“pasquinelli”#p42841 can music be transgressive? art? can any piece of culture? isn’t culture, in that sense, just people pretending there’s something more going on than exploitation?

This is an interesting thing to think about, and my first instinct is to answer "yes, but it cannot _remain_ transgressive".

The origins of Punk can be argued as an example; not just the themes but the structure and sound itself. Punk was a deliberate attempt to be atonal and perhaps "anti-musical". Of course, it did not take long for the genuine transgressiveness to fade away as the beast of Popular Culture swallowed it whole.

The films of Gaspar Noé might also be an example? Somewhat intentionally confronting but later just gobbled up whole once again.

The origins of Black Metal can be argued to be quite transgressive. Deliberately loud, lo-fi, aggressive, and acerbic. Some of the early members of the scene are on record claiming it was never intended to be popular and never intended to be heard by anyone outside the performing scene. Of course, it became commercially viable, popular (in relative terms), and I'd say that by the time even early-ish works such as _Transilvanian Hunger_ came out it was already no longer truely transgressive.

_Piss Christ_ was probably (unintentionally?) transgressive. Of course, through notoriety it became an object of interest and quickly became simply "infamous" instead.

I'm waffling and just writing a silly listicle now so I'll stop and get back to work, heh.
    (edit: fixed my mangling of Gaspar Noé's name)

>

@“pasquinelli”#p42841 Gaagaagiins you’ve brought something else to mind, referring to vulfpeck as untransgressive: can music be transgressive? art? can any piece of culture? isn’t culture, in that sense, just people pretending there’s something more going on than exploitation?

Again, I'm always wary about Big TR Posting on here, just cause it feels weirdly redundant, I guess, and it's likely a non-zero number of his personal friends might read it _and_ not him, but, like, come on, in the current cultural climate, I challenge anyone to tell me why a BARELY sub 6 hour review/celebration/meditation/truncated Let's Play/social experiment/primal scream, of _Tokimeki Memorial,_ a near 20 year old videogame about dating in the mid 90s as a Japanese high school student, isn't the most cutting edge shit out there rn?

To sum it up, music, film, that sort of shit, I think we're like fifty or a hundred years too late to make stuff that is really _really_ transgressive from a formal/content perspective. But you know. Wherever there is a status quo there is a way to transgress against it. The bigger the amount of society that said status quo encompasses, the easier it is to just take a baseball bat and whack that hornet's nest off your apartment balcony on to the parking lot below.

@“Gaagaagiins”#p42862 yeah, i was having wandering brain. i ran with the word “transgressive” and heaped a bunch of stuff on it. sometimes i get to feeling hopeless, because so often people seem to think that what is basically talking can be the way to a better world. but that's really got nothing to do with anything in this thread.

BUT! to be absolutely clear, i think tim rogers is a world treasure.

>

@“pasquinelli”#p42878 sometimes i get to feeling hopeless, because so often people seem to think that what is basically talking can be the way to a better world. but that’s really got nothing to do with anything in this thread.

What's union organizing, though, if not just a lot of talking ;)