Which was the first "the raid" style movie?

There are loads of them, but I've never really traced the origin. To be in this genre main drive of the movie has to be in one apartment block/tower/etc and the protagonists fight their way up/through/down/etc.

Here are the ones I can think of - in addition to finding which is first, it's neat to see how many there are in general, so feel free to add more even if they're not older:
The Horde/La Horde (2009)
The raid (2011)
Attack the block (2011)
Dredd (2012)

Honorable mention:
Train to Busan (2016) - the gauntlet is a train not an apartment block

It's hard to believe the raid and attack the block directors both watched the relatively obscure horde and got the idea from there, but who knows. Any earlier ones?

2011/12 seems full of these things, I know I'm missing some.

@exodus#6079 I mean the first obvious answer I can think of is Die Hard but now I'm wondering if there are earlier examples.

Edit: assault on precinct 13 (1976) though in that they are defending a building.

Yeah my immediate answer to « a movie like The Raid » would have been Assault on Precinct 13. Just to clarify, you mean an action movie with a rough unity of time and place?

There is The Taking of Pelham 123 from 1974, that one is a train too.

This is not really in the spirit of the question, but I wanted to shout out Joel Schumachers “Phonebooth.” That movie is a great novelty.

What I really mean is a movie that follows the specific formula of those four movies:

• - the first major thing that happens is “we arrive at a high rise apartment complex”
  • - the majority of the action takes place in this apartment complex, and the protagonists must fight up/down/through it to succeed, going up and down floors to achieve their goals.
  • - there's something in the apartment complex that must be defeated (all of these movies have a drug dealer boss but attack the block and la horde also have aliens and zombies respectively)
  • So assault on precinct 13 doesn't reeeeeeeeeally count because it's just one building, no ascending floors. Though I'm on the edge here and might watch it again.

So The Night Eats The World is probably not one of these, because while it does all take place within one apartment building and the protagonist must clear all floors, the drive of the movie isn't "we've got to get up there to do X" as it is with the others.

Ultimately I'm trying to sort out why so many of these movies, with a very very specific central element (fight up/down the inside of a high rise) came out within such a short period of time.

i feel like i remember reading outright accusations of plagiarism with dredd & the raid around the time dredd came out, but i can't really find anything about that on the internet anymore.

Well then, Die Hard definitely fits these characteristics, no? (Also Suspiria, amusingly.)

In terms of martial arts movies, I guess the closest would be the original version of Game of Death which had a rather similar premise (Bruce Lee climbs up a pagoda and beats up a different Boss on each floor) but never got released as such. There is however an alternate Japanese cut released on DVD that tried to reproduce the original movie. I am sure you can find a few more Golden Harvest movies with that fairly economical premise. Ironically, Spartan X does not fit at all, despite the game that got licensed from it, but maybe Irem got inspired by an earlier Jackie Chan flick.

I guess I‘m realizing it’s possible not everyone has seen all these movies and was thinking about this actively during those years, so I'll outline the basic hooks of all of them:

**La Horde:** A bunch of police storm an apartment building to avenge the death of a colleague at the hands of a drug dealer and his crew. They fight their way through the apartment building floor by floor, battling gang members but occasionally getting a bit of respite from a local resident. But then zombies come and the cops and gang members must form an uneasy alliance and fight their way back down to the garage to escape.

**Attack The Block:** A gang of small time hooligans steals from a nurse. When an alien crashes down, they wind up angering the drug dealer who controls the block by wrecking his car. They must defend their apartment block floor by floor against the aliens and the drug dealer, getting occasional respite from local residents. They must form an alliance with the nurse in order to survive.

**The Raid:** A bunch of cops storm an apartment building to take down a drug dealer. They fight their way through the apartment building floor by floor, battling gang members but occasionally getting a bit of respite from a local resident. Our police protagonist and his gang member brother must form an alliance in order to survive.

**Dredd:** Two cops are ordered to investigate an apartment building to take down a drug dealer. They fight their way through the apartment building floor by floor, battling gang members but occasionally getting a bit of respite from a local resident. Also a bunch of dumb nonsense happens and one of them is psychic.

These movies are all VERY SIMILAR in terms of structure, tone, location, protagonists, major plot points, and action style. Die Hard isn't one of these because (and I can't believe I'm saying this) it's much more subdued in how it deals with action compared to these movies. These are "door-busting" action and die hard is much more metal gear solid, shoot when you have to type stuff.

Assault on Precinct 13 has a lot of these elements, the uneasy alliance, the single dominant location, but without the apartment block, which I might point out is an extremely specific central device for four films to have, it doesn't have the same feeling.

So how did these all come to be?

Dredd very clearly watched either The Raid or Attack The Block or both - those were both smaller budget films from european directors with limited release but strong acclaim. The director said he started writing his script in 2006 but come on, guy. Go ahead and pretend you had an apartment block in there all along.

It's hard, but not impossible, to imagine that either the director of The Raid or Attack The Block watched La Horde, but that movie only had an extremely limited release outside France (in 2010) until streaming, and then people saw it on a larger scale.

What the heck did La Horde watch, if anything? Is it possible these ideas all just sprang up independently? With that extremely similar central core it seems unlikely. Is La Horde secretly the inspiration for all the other movies?

There was an Assault on Precinct 13 remake in 2005, maybe that's a clue. But I also feel like I'm missing something, and I'm also missing more of these similar movies because I'm blanking on it. So yeah, that's where I am with all this!

La Horde was directed by a former games and cinéma fantastique* journalist so he obviously borrowed from their tropes.

*I can’t find a word for that genre in English? It’s pretty common in French and Italian, kinda grouping all supernatural and horror and anticipation and sci-fi flicks but somehow excluding something like super heroes movies. The kind of films featured in the magazine Mad Movies in France. The director of La Horde wrote in that magazine.

Carpenter was extremely influential in France – I mean, no shit, but even moreso among that generation of French journalists and film makers – so I would confidently designate Precinct 13 as the main culprit. (Ex. the 2005 remake is a French-led project.)

I assume The Raid was rather inspired by HK cinema and everything else was inspired by The Raid.

So could la horde have influenced the raid? It seems tough to believe, but maybe it was the innovator and the rest followed.

Like the big distinction for me is with any of these four films you can say, "wow, that's just like <x other of these 4>" - whereas with precinct 13 or die hard you can't. It's hard to believe the raid and la horde came up with such similar ideas independently but I guess it does happen sometimes. And then attack the block was released the same year as the raid!

Maybe it's not as much of a mystery as I feel it is, but it confounds me.

Ys Origin is a “the raid” style videogame lol

I freakin love The Raid and Dredd btw; they're my favorites!

I dunno, Attack the Block and The Raid came out only a year before Dredd. That sounds like it‘d be some pretty fast turnaround if you’re trying to rip something off, maybe I'm wrong though!

@ttzop#6130 that is the offical story. That dredd had already been written when Raid came out.

Thought there might be a good list on Letterboxd, but this is the closest I could find: https://letterboxd.com/mook/list/its-like-die-hard-but/

I think there're plenty of films that're similar to _The Raid_, it's just that they have a whole other half of film where they're not raidin', whereas _The Raid_ etc. are really focused on that one part. So I see a pretty large pool for inspiration, just not as direct as you're looking for?

---

edit: Gareth Evans on influences: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/ten-films-watch-raid/

At least that list has lots of rad films I am now going to watch.

Going to straight up say synchronizität, unless someone provides a compelling argument otherwise.

Edit: Which is not the title of a Raid-like movie that these are all based on.
    It's the pseudo-science phenomenon in which coincidences are meaningful.
    Like a bunch of movies with the same premise all coming out in a short span of time even though they don't seem to have had any causal reason to have all sprung into being around the same time.

I guess that‘s possible - just blows my mind that so many would be so similar!

This letterboxd list DOES have a few more of these movies in there… maybe the terror experiment, maybe lockout - I haven’t seen them, but there's high potential for it.

@exodus#6175 lockout is a GREAT movie but if Die Hard doesnt fit in your criteria Lockout probably wontn either. Still recommend you watch it as it‘s basically Escape From New York IN SPAAAAAAAAAAACE. It was made by s french production company but it’s got all this self aware over the top american stuff in it. It hits you with every trope in the book, one after another. A very silly movie pretending to be serious.

https://youtu.be/JTQG_2ejI_Q

Try to count the rapid fire cliches in this

alright, it's on the list!