Boisterous Beastiary: Writer's Ballpark, Balling Hard

came across this absolutely lit bestiary entry for Final Fantasy XII's Cockatrice

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/Vxnrp8E.png]

_"Lo, the mighty cockatrice, proud-feathered sphere, known as much for its ill humor as its dire rotundity. The great naturalist Merlose once remarked: '...live they in the sands and other arid climes, whereabouts they moveth in a rolling fashion most peculiar. Subsist they principally on small creatures and vermin, for the incapacitation of which they disgorge a sticky saliva, thence devouring captured morsels only when appetite moves them.' Swollen sacs containing airs are found under the surface of the skin, and when inflated, these lifting the creature upon drafts unseen, whence to espy suitable prey."_

**proud-feathered sphere, known as much for its ill humor as its dire rotundity** LMAO !!!

anyway, thought we could start a thread featuring writers swagging out in the bestiary / item descriptions / etc

Raises a glass to the mighty cockatrice, proud-feathered sphere, known as much for its ill humor as its dire rotundity.

It's rare for localizations to be so sweet. All those Katamari Damacy item compendium entries are like this. We think much of the subtle humor is lost in translation.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/GLHYL4Z.png]

#shitscription

Love the bestiary and equipment descriptions in tactics advance and FF12, I think these are places where Alexander O. Smith had pretty much free reign if I recall correctly.

You know what is some real shit, that I can't think of an example of other than FFXII, is when bestiaries or other supplementary in game esoterica is written in character as an in universe naturalist or something. You gotta love that

@“Gaagaagiins”#p46343 Pikmin 2 does this! Olimar takes a more objective, scientific approach, but Louie talk about various ways to prepare the creatures as food. I can‘t think of any off the top of my head as a particular favorite, but they’re incredibly charming entries.

@“Funbil”#p46347 Yes!!! Pikmin 3 too I think?