Ep. 351 - Dirtbag von Doom

Ep. 351 - Dirtbag von Doom

The panel answers listener questions buried deep at the bottom of our Patreon bag of dirt, and in the process concept Brawl Playing Games, remake The Princess Bride, and gain a time bonus! Hosted by Alex Jaffe, with Frank Cifaldi, Tim Rogers, and Brandon Sheffield. Edited by Esper Quinn, original music by Kurt Feldman.

SHOW NOTES:

Question 1: MVB asks can a sports game be good enough to get people into the real sport? (07:55)

Question 2: Matt asks, of Frank, Tim and Brandon, who has cumulatively sold the largest value’s worth of other people’s products through various casual recommendations and endorsements? (13:29)

Question 3: Jack Thompson, Not That One, asks what game would be most improved by a Sega Arcade-style announcer, and what would they say? (18:58)

Question 4: Kory asks, what have you chosen to use in a video game despite it not being the best choice, and why? (20:56)

Question 5: Malcove asks, what type of video game would The Princess Bride be? (25:45)

Brandon’s Snake Break (30:32)

Question 6: Dilson asks, are there any video game cover bands you actually like? (32:44)

Question 7: Sleepynice asks, in the spirit of metroidvania, what portmanteaus can you make from two game titles to codify other microgenres? (37:45)

Question 8: Connor asks, what video game manual is the exemplar of what all video game manuals should be? (42:18)

Question 9: Winking Winking Face asks, what is the Robery Downey Jr. returning to the MCU of video games? (47:53)

Question 10: Spencergifts asks, who is Mario? (54:14)

LIGHTNING ROUND: Nick says name ten horror games not made by a Japanese developer (57:33)

Recommendations and Outro (58:41):

This week’s Insert Credit Show is brought to you by patrons like you. Thank you.

Subscribe: RSS, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and more!

12 Likes

Question 1:
Andy Anderson got into skating because of THPS, he’s now an Olympic level athlete and one of the most innovative skaters

6 Likes

Time Bonus!

5 Likes

A ford e350 is overkill. I live in a van down by the river and it’s a ford e150.

1 Like

I don’t know what THPS is but my brain immediately interpreted it as “Thocky Horror Picture Show”

4 Likes

Hadn’t heard the advantage but curious now with the zach hill name drop… though i can’t find anything about him being in the band. is there a specific release or something?

2 Likes

First time I ever looked something up for a game was for Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete for Playstation. We didn’t even really get lost that much, though it still happened, but we kept having to look up boss strategies as if that would help. Every single time we reached a boss we thought we had reached our limit to progress the game and had to go find some like AOL forum discussion about it. Hard game though.

4 Likes

I really want to play Rocky Horror Pro Skater now

2 Likes

Conversion van or bust! You gotta have plastic blinds in your van windows or you’re missing out!

1 Like

4 Likes

So, BIG FEELINGS about today’s cast.

1. I’ve been on the internet so long I cannot remember what the first things were I searched for related to games, but my first memorable search that sticks with me to this day was an FAQ on the budding GameFaqs site for Legend of Oasis, because that game is very dense. And I remember that the FAQ stopped telling where to find all the hidden items about 2/3 of the way into the game.

2. BrawlPGs have existed since Downtown Nekketsu. You buy stat improvements, you find weapons, you have dialogue with bosses, you buy new techniques, and though Downtown Nekketsu was more of a proto BrawlPG, it begat many brawlers where you get experience for fighting and level up.

Self-correction: I am le dumbs! The NES version of Double Dragon had actual leveling up as you beat up baddies to learn all the various moves you had right out the gate in the arcade, and the NES DD came out a year before Downtown Nekketsu. So NES DD + Downtown Nekketsu = BrawlPG!

3 Likes

This is my error, I’ve been confusing this since 2005. Spencer Seim was in the advantage. He’s the other member of Hella along with Zach Hill. The confusion (for me) comes from the swapping of roles! Spencer played guitar in Hella and Zach played drums. In the advantage, Spencer plays drums and not guitar. So sometimes in my overfull brain “the drummer from Hella is in the advantage” makes perfect sense to me.

The short version is: whoops! I’m wrong

5 Likes

i have that advantage cd since got it when it came out, and i still also have always thought it was zach from hella until this very forum post, so,

3 Likes

Right! When you hear “the drummer is from Hella” you think the drummer from Hella is in it. But hilariously I thought Zach Hill played guitar in The Advantage so like… I’m all over the place.

3 Likes

For that new Lightning Round format, it might be fun to have a limit of one game per country. Then for a given genre you can try to fill in as much of the globe as possible.

4 Likes

For question 2 I just ordered some Xi’an Famous Foods chili crisps after Tim’s recommendation so many episodes ago. I had never heard of chili crisps prior to that and picked up what I could find at the nearest Asian food store a few hours away. They ruled so I’m excited to try the recommended brand.

Edit. Not sure if it’s in bad taste (forum etiquette-wise) but adding my recommend to a friend discount link in case anybody else is interested. I promise I’m not trying to skew the numbers for the shilling contest 1 order of chili flakes at a time.

3 Likes

I really don’t want to be the “they forgot about gran turismo” guy here, I’m not even that big of a fan BUT…

the gran turismo game manual that came with the special edition or something of the first game was REALLLY GOOD.
There was a special edition with a double cd box but instead of two discs, there was one disc and one HUGE manual. I learned more about cars from there than from any other piece of media. I used what I leaned on every racing game.
It even includes the magical Circle of Traction that should be taught in schools!

doesn’t beat zelda though

11 Likes

I’m a big fan of using a spear and shield in Souls like Tim was talking about. I think it’s really fun to line up multiple dudes for a shish kabab. And the relationship between the shield and stamina recovery are really interesting. Deciding when to take a hit on your shield vs trying to dodge and dropping the shield to recover are simple mechanics that are all really satisfying to get right in the heat of a tough encounter. I guess maybe it’s an uncool playstyle because it’s bad for pvp? I’ve never once defeated an invader, but I don’t really care about that part of the games. I usually just stay hollow so I can creep around the world in peace stabbing nasty monsters with a 10 foot pole.

6 Likes

I’ve never looked at this manual! Perhaps tonight I shall~

1 Like