IC Twine Club Round 2: Nov 1 - Dec 31

@“MoH”#p135048 Powerful stuff! The introspective despair is palpable.

@“Gaagaagiins”#p135391 thank you @Gaagaagiins :crown:

>

@“Mnemogenic”#p134194 Oh, and as far as hosting the Twine on the internet, I think itch.io is the best option? There used to be philome.la, but that stopped taking submissions years ago. If something ever popped up to take its place, I never heard about it.

I was wrong about this! It took me just about two weeks to remember [Borogove.io](https://borogove.io/). If for any reason you'd prefer not to upload to itch, that exists!

I got something cooking, but might be a little late (we‘ll see!). Spent today doing the major programming hang-ups that I wanted done before writing (something simple took way longer than I thought it would because support wasn’t built in, surprisingly–well, that‘s how it goes). But, I have to finish now, since I don’t want all that work to go to waste!

@“MoH”#p135048

>!

got some animal poo all over my bro's legs and got a Game Over.

>!

will try again tomorrow

@“Coffinwarehouses”#p135705 ||I don‘t think that’s an actual game over, if i remember correctly||

“You're going through that window”

content warning for death and suicide

https://mnemogenic.itch.io/youre-going-through-that-window

Reflection

>!

The scope of this one really got away from me. I know why it happened and I did it on purpose, it just really worked too well. I wanted to test the principle that three choices are always better than two.

>! >!

I think this principle is correct, but oh my lord it creates so much work. I eventually had to abandon this principle because I was tired and my creativity was running out. But I think I was still able to present some interesting or funny choices by forcing myself to think of a third thing.

>! >!

The Twine map for this really became a mess and by the time I realized it, it was too late for me to reasonably organize it. I could have clicked the button that automatically sorts it, but that seems like the coward's way.

>! >!

As far as number of passages, I think this is the biggest Twine I've made. I've written more words before, but I don't think I've ever made more than one hundred passages.

>! >!

I think of this as a first draft. I think it might loop in spots, it may link to passages that assume you know more than you do, and I think the writing could be cleaned up. But I was able to completely fill out the idea, so I'm satisfied with that. Maybe one day I'll revise it, but right now I don't want to look at it anymore.

Numbers

>!

4,397 words
>! 125 passages
>! 56 passages have opportunities to go through a window

Twine map
>![URL=https://i.imgur.com/15O0D2N.png][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/15O0D2N.png[/IMG][/URL]!<

@“saddleblasters”#p135711 haha you were right! serves me right for assuming the “Try Again” button would take me back to the beginning.

EDIT: also because i will never stop recommending it, parts of Golden Pheasant remind me of Christine Schutt's excellent novel, Florida. >!has a very similar pathetic wistful quality re: dreaming about Florida as some kind of paradise you might escape to as the sad parts with the dad in the game.!<

@“Mnemogenic”#p135730 I am god of the sky

The official deadline is today, but as seems often the case with me, I'm probably going to be a day or two late! Sorry for being a bad example in my own thread!

my friend and I are making a silly little thing for this but will also probably be done tomorrow

Honestly I feel like it's more writerly to be a couple days late

meme edit of the Antifaschistische Aktion logo that says ANTIDEADLINE AKTION [Post Reply]

@“Mnemogenic”#p135730 i did my best to continue to stand there forever, but my best was not good enough.

@Mnemogenic this was great. funny with something somber underneath. perhaps it was the cowboy hat, but i got the same vague sense of importance that i do from the scene with sam elliott in the big lebowski. that is a high compliment, in case it wasn't clear. to your own stated goals, i did feel a great sense of agency with the amount of choices i had. each run felt like another venture into the woods.

important note: i ran it quite a few times, and when i ran it again before writing this to get more thoughts, i clicked on the "media credits" and now i seem softlocked on that page unless i reset my cache or something.

i also view my game as a "first draft" in a way, though i'm more likely to just make something new rather than revisit. i also found it increasingly hard to balance and pay equal effort to the multiplying choices as the game got longer and more complex.

this is partially why i find my game more succesfull as a story than an actual game--i think it's a bit of a chore to replay and trace alternate routes. i talked to a few friends who played the game multiple times and they didn't arrive at cool routes i felt obvious/wanted to show off (i put a blackjack game in there, for example). this is undoubtedly a challenge faced by every game designer, but it's given me a lot to think about. i will try to go heavier on game and less on story in the next round to see how stretching those muscles feel.

i just checked, golden pheasant has 14649 words and 98 passages.

@Coffinwarehouses i'm glad you made it past the parrots!

>

@“MoH”#p136124 important note: i ran it quite a few times, and when i ran it again before writing this to get more thoughts, i clicked on the “media credits” and now i seem softlocked on that page unless i reset my cache or something.

Oops! I didn't think anyone could see that link on the itch version (I'm glad people can!). I'll fix that. This was actually a problem with the ending as well, but I was able to spot that before releasing it. I worked with the assumption that the game would just restart when you refreshed. And I intentionally took away the back button. Apparently Twine just saves your place. Who knew?

>

@“MoH”#p136124 this was great. funny with something somber underneath. perhaps it was the cowboy hat, but i got the same vague sense of importance that i do from the scene with sam elliott in the big lebowski. that is a high compliment, in case it wasn’t clear.

Thank you! I was definitely going for that sort of mysterious, wise cowboy feeling. There's also a bit of small town country lawyer in there. I don't actually remember why I wanted it to be a cowboy. There was an earlier version of this that got much darker (I found myself looking up what it feels like to bleed to death and decided I needed to back up) and he was a cowboy there too. Just gotta go with what you feel, I guess.

>

@“MoH”#p136124 i just checked, golden pheasant has 14649 words and 98 passages.

Oh wow, nice! I didn't realize there was that much. I need to go back and explore some more.

Oh hey! Since we‘re passing around itch links, don’t forget, it‘s very cool to rate your itch games five stars, it’s like an algorithm thing: https://itch.io/library/things-to-rate

>

@“Mnemogenic”#p135730 “You’re going through that window”

I love this, I keep trying to figure it out and I can't and I love it.

My very first ||trip through the window|| occurred in the >!second!< choice after saying >!"Perfect! Send them in!"!< and that was so funny.

@“SlumWolf”#p135883 I lied, we keep adding to it! this is fun

we did it! it's very silly. haunted computer creepypasta kinda thing

https://kusogay.itch.io/u-r-hell