Joke Characters in Games

Sibling thread to Joke Weapons in Games

This will probably mostly be fighting games but after learning about the wonderful Jogurt I figured I shouldn’t limit ourselves

I will start with the best example I can think of, the many characters from Fighter’s Megamix on Saturn

Kids Akira and Kids Sarah, chibi versions of fighters already in the game

Hornet, the car from Daytona USA

Mr. Meat

Kumachan and Pandachan

Thank you to Kumachan / Pandachan (Fighters Megamix) for pointing out that they’re probably the only fighting game characters to not have any animations, that didn’t hit me until they said it

And lastly, AM2 Palm Tree
which is just the dev’s logo haha

10 Likes

pojo-mace-the-dark-age-chicken-flipping-piledriver
Going back to the comedy well that is Mace: The Dark Age. Here’s “Pojo!”, the chicken!

10 Likes

Wow!! I love it :D thank you so much for sharing

being able to skate as eddie the iron maiden mascot in thps4 was the coolest thing ever to me when i was 11 years old

8 Likes

In zero divide you can play as zoom’s company mascot, neco

9 Likes

you can ride as klonoa in namco’s first MotoGP game for the PS2. too bad he lacks top speed

8 Likes

Tekken 3 had some great joke characters.

293ffbb281c0f8ba79e24f0bfe9bce83

Gon is like half the height of a normal fighter and super hard to hit.

3137de193666da1ff6ef268144ebeb515e61a52d
y3HoMU

Doctor B is even harder to hit because he frequently falls down and fights while lying on the ground.

11 Likes

“Joke character” might be a bit harsh, but the middle series Final Fantasy games often have that one character that’s so much goofier than the rest.

• Mog in FF6
  • Caith Sith in FF7
  • Arguably Laguna in FF8 (sure, he looks like a normal dude, but him and his pals are just these clumsy idiots all the time, and then he becomes president)
  • Quina Quen in FF9
4 Likes

IMG_1367

10 Likes

RE2_remake_Tofu_vs._Zombie-kun
This guy looks even more ridiculous remade

10 Likes

What exactly am I lookin at?

1 Like

Looks to me like a giant block of tofu with a hat.

2 Likes

RE2 tofu indeed. It’s a piece of tofu with a knife. Hardcore as heck.

3 Likes

WCW Nitro for the PS1 had a huge list of very silly secret characters, including but not limited to: a wasp, a cow, a bear, a clown (not the normal wrestling clown but a funny ha ha clown), a ghost, a frankenstein, and a dinosaur.

5 Likes

Fred Durst is an unlockable character in the 2004 PS2/Xbox Fight Club video game.

Come to think of it, I don’t think that was meant to be a joke…

5 Likes

Dan Hibiki is the most iconic for me. A) because he was the first joke character I ever encountered and B) it’s really funny that he’s treated like a joke character in the actual SF lore, it makes his rare poignant moments all the more striking.
Screenshot_17-6-2024_17182_static.wikia.nocookie.net

For non-fighting games, you can play as an oversized sentient raw steak in Skate 3.
Skate 3 - MeatMan (youtube.com)

also, I main Mii Swordfighter and Little Mac in Smash and that gets a chuckle and/or a confused look from everyone I tell that too.

4 Likes

BIG JOE SUPREMACY

5 Likes

ace-attorney-parrot-scene

10 Likes

Tofu in Resident Evil 2 comes to mind. I remember reading guides for the game before I could ever play it and having no idea what tofu even was at that point.

6f32209ad904eba286c112709f809b2dfa57f761_hq

(Oops I missed that this was already posted, my bad!)

8 Likes

I’m not opposed to a second helping of tofu.

7 Likes