Living the Fantasy Life

i have been having a grand old time with Fantasy Life. once the plot kicked in, surprisingly, i was hooked. i didn‘t anticipate this, based on the talky, simplistic nature of the first hour of the game. now i’m taking on quests, harvesting items, flipping those items to people around town, and starting to see how the various systems fit together.

i purchased some weapons and armour last night, and after i turned the game off, thought to myself: wait, could i have simply taken on the blacksmith Life and made myself that stuff instead, thereby saving the Dosh, which i could have then used to upgrade my house so i can live in the log cabin down by the water? this is the kind of question Fantasy Life makes you think about! not sure why it took my Animal Crossing, Stardew loving self this long to click with Fantasy Life, but i'm glad we're finally clickin'.

none of the systems in the game are complicated or challenging, but they overlay in ways that begin to _feel_ complex, without actually being so. just a constant little brain-tickler of a game, with lots of numbers to watch going up and delightful little people to interact with. and i forgot all about the fact that Uematsu did the soundtrack! the main town theme is kind of grating and annoying, but there are good flute trills happening on one track, and overall i'm digging the music. thanks again @"MDS-02"#632

@“whatsarobot”#p91813 I‘m gonna continue to increase the number of words I’ve written about this game to say: mechanically yeah everything is hyper simple. But if you start getting some levels in any weapon, this game has some of the best single-button combo timing I‘ve encountered. Very gradual open up, so when its like “wait I have a followup to this swing now?” it feels hyper beefy. Probing the difference between mashing and timing your button presses will really bake your noodle. The fact that the crafting literally never becomes more complex was originally a downside to me, but ultimately it’s just button presses so I'm fine with it. Someday a couple decades from now there will be an indie that takes this formula and continues.

I recommend you unlock the DLC sooner than later by whatever means you have in case there is any save mucking that ends up happening. Endgame is nuts in that game. It's about >!80+!< hours away. My main save has like >!160!< hours on it, still haven't done all the toughest stuff. The feeling I have most from this game is that there is really no reason for a developer to put this much stuff into a game except that they care about letting the player continue to derive enjoyment - only a small percentage of the playbase would even get to the outer edge, but the endgame loop is just solid (imo, others may say I'm too zealous here). It just reeks of someone actually giving a shit.

Oh and this is possibly the [most significant piece of 'serious writing'](http://www.thegia.com/2014/12/15/fantasy-life-devaluing-violence/) on the game around, about the capacity you have in that game to be fully nonviolent. Haven't tried a playthrough that way yet, but something I'll do in retirement, I imagine.

@“MDS-02”#p92185 awesome stuff. i was tempted to go completely non-combat from the jump, but that felt a little too ambitious for a first playthrough.

i've already got that dlc installed and ready to go!

can you kindly clarify where "endgame" starts, for you? i'm really looking forward to it, based 1) on how much you've hyped it up, and 2) how much i'm enjoying everything leading up to it so far. i imagine "endgame" doesn't start the second i finish the story and credits roll, or am i wrong about that?

i started as tailor, but realized that was probably not a great Life to start with. so i spent a few hours as a paladin, and am now unlocking a bunch of woodcutting, mining, and angling skills. we'll see where i go from here...!

@“whatsarobot”#p92294 I’m defining endgame as after clearing both the main story and the dlc story, and the process of completing the final challenges after attaining the highest job rank (Creator), and clearing the trials of the >!divine tower!< in the dlc. There are some flat level gates at the upper end for certain content, and it isn’t that the loop changes, but more a sense of “oh I didn’t think I would be asked to do (typical game mechanic) to this degree”. As you say, the stuff up to getting there is a good time, there’s just like a few exclamation points at the end that make this a game where I still have stuff to enjoy working towards after that many hours.

@“MDS-02”#p92330 you are real good at building my Fantasy Life hype. thank you!

do i have to attain Creator rank for all jobs? or just one?

EDIT: i realize "have to" is pretty subjective, but i'm simply asking what you think.

For other’s reference I subsequently started a private thread to relieve you all from my blathering.

How bout that Gotta Protectors, tho, folks? I feel like that’s the closest thing to an offshoot of EDF that exists in games.

@“Syzygy”#p92420 if you can, could you also merge the private thread I had started? Called just ‘fantasy life’ between whatsarobot and myself. Thanks!

I installed fantasy life on my 3ds after seeing y'all talk about it. gonna try it soon

I love how everything fits together. The simplicity of the job-related mini-games is key. I think if any task related to a job was too complex it wouldn‘t flow as well, and it’s that flow that elevates the game to something special for me. I'm having a real good time.

Here’s the continuation of our conversation:

>

@“MDS-02”#p92335 By the time you’re getting any class to creator, you’ll have reasons to get others there, or will have been somewhat on the way anyways. Time sucks to look out for are a few challenges in the wood cutting and mining lives that require mining a certain number of mining or logging points, so unlocking those and just chopping or mining when it comes up will make it not a sudden hit after you’re done with earlier areas (the tally is universally tracked). The other hit is in cooking and tailoring where one of the life challenges requires you to get to level 15 in particular skills. By the time you’re facing that there is a shop that lets you purchase an accessory that can help, which cost some special stuff, but will help you not need to grind quite as much.

>

@“whatsarobot”#p92338 okay, i think i’m starting to see how it comes together. like i said, i’ve just now started the woodcutting and mining lives, which i’m sort of proud of, because i had the intuition to do that all by my lonesome. it happened because i scaled to the top of that ice mountain to holler at the napdragon, and along the way i kept running into mining and chopping points that i couldn’t do anything with! “i have missed something,” i thought to myself.

>
>

anyway i’ve since spent some time slumming on gamefaqs, which i am not proud of. i hope you won’t mind me asking you questions in the future about this game.

>
>

full disclosure: i was at Tokyo Disneyland yesterday, and even with all that happening around me, i still found myself thinking about Fantasy Life. so, uh, yeah. it’s got me good.

>
>

one thing i learned over there at the gamefaqs is, people are real serious about only putting stats into either strength or (i think?) vitality. in the early game, stats don’t seem to matter all that much, but would you agree that i should dump all my points into strength, and go the paladin/blacksmith/carpenter route (with gathering skills) until post-game? my take is, i can probably just dabble around with any lives i want without too much of a penalty. but maybe i’m wrong?

>
>

i also know that i need to currently be the Life for which i’m hoping to get quest credit when reporting to that Life’s master. (did that sentence make sense? i hope so.)

>
>

one other thing i’ve been wondering about: is there any real reason to do more than one of the combat classes? that’s where i can see my stats potentially becoming an issue.

>
>

hope you won’t mind answering yet more of my Fantasy Life questions lol.

>

@“MDS-02”#p92372 Yeah don’t sweat stats. (Vit does build max hp which is generally nice) Any gamefaq tip about how to approach builds is viewing the game as completion = enjoyment. It seems like you’re getting the right idea, which is that the point of the game is to enjoy your time with it. I am trying to avoid spoiling too much but just know that you can’t really mess up. Their advice is pointing towards some critical path of “progression” along some gathering/craft/combat dps maximization, which can be sorted when you decide it’s important. Because this is one of the few games that permits you to not sweat that, my suggestion is to let yourself just do what feels in line with your character and the things you enjoy doing. If you feel a drive that the destination is the point then you do the build they suggest, but you seem to be enjoying the journey - that’s what the game wants you to do and won’t screw you for it.

>
>

And yeah to cash in your credits for life quests, must be that life. However, the flagging of completing life quests can happen in other lives except for ones that say “As a ____ do xxx”. Nearly all combat quests are that way, so like killing bandits is a quest for paladins, and won’t be triggerable as any other class. Things like gathering (aside from cashing in certain bounties) can be done as any class, so like if you have unlocked woodcutting and are a paladin, you can complete the ‘gather ten oak logs’ quest, but not the ‘cash in a elder oak bounty’ quest while playing as a paladin. To then get the life credit for them you need to swap to woodcutter. Hopefully that makes some sense.

>
>

For doing multiple combat lives, it’s just for variety’s sake. Since you can’t swap classes on the fly, being more than one is just about wanting to spend time with a different gameplay style. Pretending this game is sword art online gets you a long way.

>
>

It’s true that if you’re playin archer and you put a bunch of dex in, you won’t be strong as a paladin, but as you say, stats are small for dps relative to gear early on, so any stat spread is mostly fine. If you find yourself feeling stuck and like unable to complete stuff on your current life rank, let me know. The main imbalances are in a few of the mage and archer quests which put you against a tougher-than-reasonable enemy around the expert rank. Otherwise you can mostly progress with moderate gearing up.

>
>

Lay on the questions! This is one of my top ten most essential games so I’m more than happy to be any sort of guide.

>

@“whatsarobot”#p92373 wow, this is great! thanks for clearing some stuff up for me and confirming that i’m meeting the game on its own terms.

>
>

very much appreciate you being my buddy on this journey. you’re even making me curious about Sword Art Online, which i barely know anything about!

>

@“MDS-02”#p92375 ah nothing major on SAO, just like a living game world with a never-defined set of boundaries. For me imagining that the depth of the pool of fantasy life was actually infinite made me just have a ton of fun, even if the reality is that you definitely can scrape the edges. Playing within the pool and thinking it’s an ocean was just a great escape for me.

>

@“whatsarobot”#p92376 nice analogy. by contrast, it seems like the folks over at GameFAQs are more interested in measuring the size and depth of the pool, as well as the exact volume of water it contains. nothing wrong with that, i guess, but i think your approach sounds a whole lot more fun.

@“穴”#p92448 let us know how you go with it!

@RubySunrise more details please! what Life are you rolling with so far, for example?

haven't gotten past the character creator yet (lol) but I found a way to describe my curly hair from now on

[upl-image-preview url=https://i.imgur.com/jC3RQc9.jpeg]

hater post, please disregard:

The original NDS concept of fantasy life looked so much more appealing to me. It got swept up into the direction of games at the time, and the 3D polygonal form of Nintendo 3DS, and became a resounding success with tumblr-goers of the time, which may be the single largest contributing factor to my irrational hatred of the Nintendo 3DS. I have to admit I never played it due to the graphics alone. it left a sour taste in my mouth with all low-detail polygonal 3d games on going forward from the year 2012 forward… I bet it's stupid good.

@“treefroggy”#p98316

Oh I hadn’t ever seen these ds screens, knew it was originally heading to that console but figured it was still polygonal. Dope look!

Sorry you were robbed!

@“treefroggy”#p98316 yeah honestly as great as Fantasy Life is, it would have been so much more enjoyable if it had looked like that. Brownie Brown sprite work is second to none.

Stoked

https://youtu.be/ZmbC_dS-FjY

@“whatsarobot”#p98366 it basically was the final nail in the coffin that made me give up on video games

new one looks much better, expressive

@“treefroggy”#p103503 yeah I know it man. I can‘t look at Fantasy Life without lamenting what it could have looked like, and I can’t lament what it could have looked like without thinking about my boy treefroggy, out there somewhere in the world, lamenting along with me. solidarity. 2D Brownie Brown Fantasy Life fans stand up.

Oh gosh I‘m so excited for the new one.

Also, I’ve never seen the DS version, that pixel art is perfect. I was playing Rocket Slime a few days ago and it made me think about how, even if it wasn't the most powerful sprite-centric console, the NDS feels like the peak of sprite works on the design aspect.

As a Rune Factory fan who has never played this series, I‘m very happy for y’all. There is life after DS! If the new one is good maybe I'd check it out.