Scoffing down a Pizzer (and other silly ways we talk) Rebirth

@exodus Going back to the letter R, this is spot on:

https://youtube.com/shorts/GrHqNg4KB0g?si=i0FaE99d8BW7TKJE

I just heard a video of an American restaurant showing off they serve a hamburger with a bottle of Moët and pronounced the T. Is this actually how it is pronounced in some places?

@“Tom of the Fog”#p147371 It is how it is pronounced in many American accents! I can’t think of any that don’t pronounce the T. For got examples of this, listen to old hip-hop. Nas and Biggie are (wait for the joke!) “notorious” for that!

It's odd you mention Biggie as when I think of him, he can pronounce escargot correctly. I guess the usage with the T is with artistic licence to make things rhyme.

>

@“antillese”#p147380 wait for the joke!) “notorious” for that!

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone who'se never been to to Toronto, how do you think this is pronounced: Roncesvalles

@“connrrr”#p147384 I've never been to Toronto but I do know where that is in Spain. Is it in Toronto then too?

Edit - Figure it must be otherwise it's an odd link! Based on the history of the place, and the fact it's now being used in a French speaking country that they adapted it from the literal pronunciation in Spanish to French...

For the square: **Ron-ce-vaux**

@“Tom of the Fog”#p147386 it is a street/neighbourhood in Toronto named after a battle that took place in Roncesvalles, Spain!

@“connrrr”#p147388 Didn't know about that one (as always, the Brits got involved!).

I'm locking in my answer! Would I be laughed out of Canada or directed to where I need to go?

(Anyway it's pronounced RON-see.)

@“connrrr”#p147390 Drats, so close!

@“Tom of the Fog”#p147389 no but I don't think anyone would know what you were talking about if you were asking for directions to Roncevaux lol. They call it “Roncesveils,” but you can get away with not playing their stupid game and just calling it Roncy.

This reminds me of how there is a pond near High Park called Grenadier Pond, and for a while I was accidentally frenchifying it into "grenadzyay" I guess because I grew up near the Ontario-Quebec border and think anything that ends in -dier must be French. Oups!

@“connrrr”#p147393 I'm even more confused with Roncesveils. If I ever go back to Canada and make it there, I know I can fit in with Roncy!

>

@“connrrr”#p147393 Grenadier Pond

I can see why you would - grenade is pomegranate in French, so grenadier is pomegranate tree (based on the fact that even though there is another word for tree **arbre**, they still add **ier** to a fruit to make it that fruit tree - A lesson for non-French speakers there). I read it in the French version and thought "That's a nice sounding park" and not the English and thought "That's a horrible and probably very dangerous park"!

Parlez-vous québécois ?

@“Tom of the Fog”#p147394 ouai kinda. Je tente de le parler. En mars, j‘ai crĂ©Ă© un thread pour jaser en français, au cas oĂč cela t’aurait Ă©chappĂ©!!

Je ne connaissais pas celui-là – merci beaucoup. Je vais essayer de rattraper mon retard et essayer de ne pas parler trop de franglish :wink:

just learned that in England they dance the “Hokey Cokey”

@“hellomrkearns”#p145620 timestamped

https://youtu.be/_KLSbCtinXs?si=PTJ8XtlAu3ky9qS0&t=40

@“yeso”#p147862 With our knees bent, arms stretched rah rah rah :wink:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C15YMSUu1cn/

On the topic of this thread, as kids in Australia we would always “scoff” down food. It was also a frequent term for the food we'd bring when going to the cinema ie. “What are we bringing for scoffs this arvo? I reckon some Fantales, Polly Waffles and some Jaffas to piff at the people down the front”*.

*happy to elaborate on any of the words in this sentence if curious!

@"exodus"#p145074 A frequent one of these mispronunciations here in AU is referring to retail chain "Target" as "Tar-jay" (with a soft "j"). I've even caught myself doing it quite accidentally, woe is me :(

@“Shaneus”#p147920 accidentally!? Here it was something middle aged parents did because they thought it was funny