Unorthadox takes on recipes and food

Wow! I was planning to start a thread similar to this one because I wasn't aware this one existed, I was still workshoping the cooking mama joke that I was going to write in the title.

I also love cooking and making recipes into my own, that being said I do like to follow recipes when I'm learning to prepare something the first couple of times, just to learn what it is that makes it good, and then after a couple of times I start changing stuff.

In Mexico the concepts of lunch and dinner are switched if we compare it to the U.S, the meal we eat between 1 p.m and 4 p.m is the main meal of the day and we call it "la comida", while our dinner (between 7 p.m and 9 p.m) tends to be something lighter and with a lot less food.

A thing I always do for dinner is making a burrito out of leftovers of what I ate earlier in the day (burritos tend to be smaller over here, the huge california style burritos are called burros or burrotes), sometimes the results aren't very good but some recent ones that were fantastic are: miso ramen burrito, biryani burrito (what is a tortilla de harina if not thiner naan) and a mapo tofu burrito.
Also if i'm lazy and I don't have the time to make naan or pita when cooking something that is traditionaly eaten with either, i'll just use a tortilla de harina instead.

Since I'm vegan most of what I do is not traditional, finding the right meat substitute for every mexican dish has been a fun challange since I stopped eating meat, for some meals I use crushed chickpeas with mushrooms, for some other quinoa, at times tofu, a mix of veggies or even just seasoned soy.
I tend to be more delicate when it comes to meat substitutes in mexican food because I was so used to the traditional taste and texture of when I ate meat; in contrast when making something like Kkanpunggi out of tofu I don't think it twice because I didn't grow up with korean food.

Some of my recent highlights when it comes to non-traditional recipes are:

-Adding kombu tsukudani to my quinoa ceviche.
After cooking the konbu I put it on the freezer so it mixes well with the freshness of the ceviche and the combination tastes amazing.

-Sweet Potato (Camotes Enmielados) and walnut pie
Camotes Enmiealados or dulce de camote is a very mexican dessert which involves cooking sweet potato with piloncillo and cinammon and it's delcious, and a couple of months ago I came up with a recipe for a sweet potato pie with layers of crushed walnuts with agave honey Ă  la baklava. It turned out delicious.

-Adding Pozole grains and a little bit of chile colorado to miso ramen.
Essentially combining ramen and pozole. It's great.

Oh and I will also add fried tofu and tahini to any creamy soup. (and also lentil soup)

I made some walnut baklava sweetened with piloncillo and agave honey, it turned out great!

I still need to improve my Phyllo making technic though, it could had been a little bit thinner and crunchier.

I make Phyllo by hand because I don‘t know where to buy it, it’s hard but rewarding!

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/VXXVxv2.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/Dgl3NBi.jpeg]

Even after seeing the important info, I'm still impressed by anyone that makes it by hand. Nice one!

@“KingTubb”#p41683 that sounds like it would be good for a pesto pizza.

I made some mochi, there wasn‘t anything unorthodox about it because it’s my first time making mochi. I took a photo of the mochi and one of them looks like it‘s screaming (and a ghost) so that’s unorthodox I think [upl-image-preview

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/vpupiJZ.jpeg]

I probably did something wrong with the dough because it wasn‘t easy to close them but they are alright in flavor if not for maybe a too-strong matcha flavor. Usually my first try at making anything comes out kind of weird but by the third time I can make something really good.

Also the matcha I bought wasn’t of the greatest quality so it gives a weird green color

Tonight Im preping for turkey day by staging a lot of my favorite appatizer: bacon wrapped pineapple.

I usually cut the bacon into halves (instead of thirds, as pictured), then wrap a piece of pineapple and slice of water chestnut in bacon and then skewer the whole thing with a toothpick. When making a large batch like this I'll also Experiment with wrapping other things with bacon, like shrimp or sausage or peppers.

Tonight they're getting tossed in a ziplock, but tomorrow they will go in the oven at 425 for 20 minutes.

This is my favorite thing to make/eat; it's a great finger food appetizer, and a deceptively easy way to eat a pound of bacon in one sitting.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/LfitUyV.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/gftLccP.jpeg]

Huitlacoche as a ramen topping

People Are Sharing The Affordable Foods They Eat All The Time That Are Considered “Luxuries” By The Rest Of The World

a little off topic but

A Poke Bowl was Never Meant to be More Than Six Dollars

ON topic:
back to my old food insecure ways, so I'm more desperate and therefore creative lately:
no xmas dinner or nothin my dad doesn't do holidays like that (today he offered me a slimy ball of rice from the corner of his rice cooker while we watched ELF)
So back to mostly sprouts I grow in the van or GO GIRL salad greens every day with extra v olive oil, nutritional yeast and kimchi, sometimes I throw in some vegan smoked apple sausage by a brand called **King's Field** I mean _Field Roast_ or sometimes some whole foods pasta salad thrown in there.

Then last night to comfort myself I made 6 impossible burgers that I melted swiss on and toasted the buns then squirted on some chik a fil e sauce from my friend's fridge and packed them away for safekeeping, before eventually eating them in my house with various kim chees and sauces

At first I thought that was a kimchi sandwich.

I'd probably enjoy either

Everything sounds great in my Top 500 Instant Pot Recipes cookbook. Wow, top 500. That’s really a lot. Is the 400th best recipe really even a compliment/accolade? How many instant pot recipes are there?

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/FOV2X9z.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/HdlAKgG.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/27xWjAT.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/jey9pMg.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/wrOw0Yp.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/hh9Z8NW.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/b2ycnXp.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/pLPOkEv.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/t09IgcJ.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/luPV7Zb.jpeg]

@“BluntForceMama”#p53693 is this from monster hunter?

A very unorthadox pad thai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jmtrDi-jTI

Looks great, I think I'll give this a try soon-ish.

@“BluntForceMama”#p53693 this reminds me of Roger Ebert's cook book The Pot and How to Use It: The Mystery and Romance of the Rice Cooker

made haƂuski (from scratch you just gotta) with salt pork and peas + juniper kieƂbasa - anyone have a recipe on an onion sauce they'd recommend? I usually make haƂuski with a paprika sauce but want to try something different and maybe a bit lighter

@“yeso”#p56461 Have you considered trying a simple burnt/browned butter sauce? Or even something along the lines of what one would do for an Aglio e Olio? Not as hearty as an onion sauce would be, however.

i'm not sure how unorthodox it is, but sweet potato latkas are real nice. make them just like regular latkas but with sweet potatos.

on the sweet potato thought, the other day i made some piadina with sweet potato and coconut milk, which was pretty nice. i paid no attention to, like, how much of what stuff exactly i was using, but if i take the time to make a recipe i'll post it here. and it will have chives in it.

@“pasquinelli”#p59664 how much (if any) water do you need to drain from them compared to regular potatoes?

Been using my rice cooker to toast bread all week

@“yeso”#p59676 the way i do it in either case is grate them onto a cloth, salt them, let them sit for a bit and twist them until getting more liquid out would be too much trouble. iirc it seems comparble to the amount of liquid in a regular potato.

a good tip = microwave the grated potatoes for 2 minutes.