A thread in which to introduce oneself

@exodus#319 This is true.

@Seizya#301 oh hey Seizya, I'm an on again off again poster at the MMCafe too.

hello iā€˜m ari / roxaloxa (he/him)! i was never on insert credit before but iā€™ve followed brandon for a bit and chatted to him a couple times at indiecade and east bay gamedev meetups years ago. worked at EA for a bit (dawngate, the sims) and also did some indie stuff that never released

will probably mostly lurk but i miss forums tooooooooo šŸ˜”

forums are cool! please enjoy however you interact with it!!

ā€˜Sup, everything I know about Insert Credit I gleaned from the hushed, reverent tones of Tim Rogers and Icycalm and Iā€™m mostly just parking an account so I can say I was here for The Happening. I played Radiant Silvergun in 2005 and it was such a transformative experience that 1) I now evaluate all motion and media by its component geometry, 2) I mostly had to stop playing games forever because I spoiled myself and nothing made after 2002 ever made me feel that good again

So instead I've just been focusing on art while grinding programming and linear algebra so I can eventually just make my own damn game and recapture that feeling for myself. Also spent 5 years doing pixel art backgrounds with Headcannon on projects that never take off (Vertebreaker, Flamingo, Darkwing Duck)

whoa, I didnā€˜t realize vertebreaker got canceled. I liked the vibe of it! well, Iā€™ll play whatever thing you wind up making!

Some reverent tones are more predictable than othersā€¦

f*ckā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

heh heh welcome back buddy

@vmu_beep#54 Dude. That three.js Saturn BIOS recreation. You're really cool.

You even preloaded it with the perfect genre to get the cubes jiggling. The very last time I burnt a CD-R was just to turn the cubes red with DnB and dancehall (a few months ago)

Hi Everyone, Iā€˜m Alex. Iā€™m a narrative designer and producer. I've been an IC reader for a long time now; long before I was making games.

I've most recently done work on games for Alexa based on Jurassic World and Jack Ryan. I've also been adapting children's books into branching narratives for voice platforms. I also do freelance game design work at whoever needs it done.

twitter: [@alexanderbevier](https://twitter.com/AlexanderBevier)

Hello! Iā€˜m Michael. I used to visit Insert Credit all the time because it was probably the only place on the internet where sometimes youā€™d see a news post that would namedrop Ranger-X for some reason. In fact now that I think about it I still have a jpg flyer for some GP32 game that looked very ā€œinspired byā€ that I downloaded from IC back then. I think I was posting on the forum but it's possible I just lurked. My posts may have been so embarrassing that I blocked them from memory.

Since then I have made some games, especially Tiny Barbarian DX.

Anyway @P_Hominid told me the forum was back so here I am!

welcome back! that barbarian youā€˜ve got is very tiny, itā€™s a real appropriate name

Thanks! Iā€˜m glad itā€™s here for me to be back at :slight_smile:

@P_Hominid#350 your feelings with Radiant Silvergun are exactly why I've hardly played anything new and mainly speedrun the games that do that for me (NiGHTS, SkyGunner, Game Gear stuff) when I do have time to play.

@James-#390 Feel like weā€˜ve got a lot in common. Most of my game time is split between halfheartedly trying to 1CC shmups while my brain is still fresh enough to forge those neural connections, and just scraping the barrel playing the same 10 games with stricter self-imposed rules. Iā€™m ashamed. Like, am I just old? (No it's the kids that are wrong)

I get over it by telling myself I've consumed all the media I needed to develop my own inspiration and it's pointless to keep packing more data in until I act on that inspiration. I'll catch up when I'm out of ideas. Gamedev monk mode

@P_Hominid#393 hard agree that the kids are wrong - youā€˜re not old, you just already know where the good stuff is.

Thereā€™s certainly a lot of cool stuff coming out now, but thereā€˜s also a massive wealth of amazing things from back in the day that Iā€™m not done enjoying (or even finding). Iā€˜m too busy trying to fumble through Japanese exclusives that I canā€™t read but desperately want to experience and weird stuff that I've heard of and want to see first hand (looking at you, Knights of the Crystallion) to make it around to most of the new stuff.

Hello! I feel like an imposter because I read the entire thread and have to sayā€¦ I donā€™t know anything about Insert Creditā€™s past haha. </3 Iā€™m here because I follow Brandon on Twitter and thought it might be cool to use forums again. I guess Iā€™m not alone in feeling that Twitter can be a bit much, and not just these days.

Iā€™m the founder and director of an independent record label called [Brave Wave](http://bravewave.net). Iā€™m technically part of the gaming industry, but I purposefully stay away from events and gatherings as I prefer to work alone with my artists. I like classic Mega Man (9 being my favorite), competitive PokĆ©mon, Matsuno games, and Final Fantasy 8.

Itā€˜s cool to not know about insert credit! Youā€™ll know about the new version!

@James-#394 my reply to this subthread is - thereā€˜s plenty to learn from the past about game feel and inspiration and out-there ideas. But thereā€™s loads to learn from games of today about how to smooth it all out, make it player friendly, and keep a purity of vision without sacrificing that other stuff. For my money you need the inspiration of the past tempered by the lessons of the lady 30 years. Not that I'm the best example of practicing what I preach!