Ask me anything (me = forum)

Is Helldivers 2 as fascist as it looks from the outside?

Please recommend dusters. Iā€™m using Swiffer Heavy Duty Duster but itā€™s 0% heavy 0% duty 100% pathetic. Your help is appreciated.

Iā€™ve found that a simple microfiber cloth picks up dust better than anything else Iā€™ve used.

3 Likes

my sources (my older brother) say that it is a satire of fascism but a lot of people donā€™t get it and they just vibe with the fascism imagery and stuff

1 Like

That sounds good but I need something attached to long stick. Maybe I should look for stick with gripper, not those big claw ones.

@KennyL I got this recently and it seems pretty good, though I havenā€™t been able to see how it holds up over time. What I like most about it is cleaning it: you take the top off, apply a little dish soap in a filled basin, swish it around, wring it out and hang to dry. idk where you are or if theyā€™ll ship to youā€¦

3 Likes

Tangential tip, the best tool to clean screens with is a microfiber cloth, and the best substance to supplement that cleaning with is distilled water

3 Likes

Its basically Starship Troopers. There are always going to be fools who donā€™t understand satire unfortunately. That being said - I am having a blast with Helldivers 2. Works best with 3 other friends. Havenā€™t had this good of a time with PvE since Left 4 Dead.

4 Likes

I maybe have the uncommon opinion that Starship Troopers is an utter failure as a satire, so that doesnā€™t exactly speak to the gameā€™s strengths to me.

What prompted the question was a bunch of people celebrating their fictional genocide, seemingly uncritically. Is this the fun? Pretending to be a fascist?

4 Likes

is helldivers more or less fascist than call of duty ?

5 Likes

I might be overly sensitive to this because of where Iā€™m from but I do find the marketing around the game to be in poor taste despite the obvious irony. Iā€™m maybe being too pessimistic about capital G gamers understanding this as satire, but also like what does the satire serve and why do I feel like itā€™s just used as a ā€œquirkyā€ marketing ploy?

To yesoā€™s point maybe this is just another example of reappropriating US interventionist propaganda as a marketing tool, itā€™s just that in this case itā€™s much more in your face about it. That being said I havenā€™t played the game and so Iā€™m unaware if the satirical aspect is developed further in there.

4 Likes

I think Call of Duty is pretty liberal (not the American sense), actually. Itā€™s a celebration of American empire with all its purported liberal values. Theyā€™re jingoistic, even nationalist, but I wouldnā€™t call them outright fascist yet, primarily just because theyā€™re reflective of American ideology, and I donā€™t think mainstream American ideology is there yet. I think weā€™re on the road, as the American public is increasingly comfortable with illiberalism coming from the right, and Call of Duty will follow suit.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had some success cleaning screens with a paper coffee filter dampened with water from the tap, but everyone always specifies distilled water. Maybe I should get a bottle and use that as my cleaning water.

4 Likes

A core dilemma in satirizing fascism, militarism, and violence in helldivers 2 is that itā€™s meant to be fun to shoot bad guys with your friends. Donā€™t know how you can square that circle rhetorically

8 Likes

You can get 4L jugs for like a buck, and hey, if you donā€™t like how it cleans, you can just drink it

1 Like

idk as I recall thereā€™s a heck of a lot of ā€œthe only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gunā€, ā€œdesperate times call for desperate measuresā€, sort of logic going on in basically all of them, added to the misrepresentation of real historical events and war crimes, the consistently dehumanising and exaggerated way other nationalities and world interests are depicted, and the franchiseā€™s ties to the US military; Iā€™d say itā€™s not-not-fascist.

1 Like

This makes sense to me as someone who feels that neoliberalism is basically Not Not Fascism: The Ideology

3 Likes

I think the difference is neoliberalism has a pretense of universality, globalisation, etc, while CoD seems really invested in American exceptionalism and nationalism at whatever cost.

3 Likes

How does one get anything done while working in an office with no direct supervision?

I just started my internship at the audio library I mentioned on the introductions thread post and this is my first non-retail job and I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing or how to not get distracted because I have a whole office room to myself

7 Likes

speaking as an intern-haver who sometimes gets caught up in other things and canā€™t easily include an intern in those tasks: you may want to politely ask your supervisor if thereā€™s something you can help with during downtime or if there are certain things to prioritize.

7 Likes