Ep. 215 - The Dirtbag of Podcasts

i agree with everything everyone is saying, but whenever they decide the pull the trigger on the money gun that is X-Men, i’m gonna have to at least show up. them mutants are very dear and personal to me, they got me through some tough times.

also: here is this week’s Twitter clip!!
https://twitter.com/insertcredit/status/1474032059370770438?s=21

while I’m here, a little inside look at *why* the misophonic munching made it into the episode. when the panel records, we have a discord bot that gets individual audio tracks for everyone speaking in the channel, and also everybody records their own track locally (the local files get used more often but flake out/go weird often enough that the backup is essential). before mixing or editing, i export the raw audio all in line together so I can hear what I’m working with, and it sounded fine enough. But Jaffe’s local recording cut out for some reason right around the time Brandon brings up Mob Psycho 100, so I just dropped in the discord bot recorded version of things (this is why tim’s audio quality changes as well) and assumed it would be fine. little did I know!! apologies again, everyone.

So Mob Psycho does get better if:

1. you view the entire first season as basic shonen anime with a couple alright jokes
  2. you get over the fact everyone's going to have a redemption arc
  3. you go into season 2 with that mindset and appreciate its slightly different take on the monster of the week thing, which is where it goes in season 2

ultimately though it's *only a little different* from other shonen anime and for my money jujutsu kaisen and chainsaw man are more impressive for always moving forward, almost never spending more than a couple seconds on exposition, and quicker moves to characterization. Mob Psycho does try to do something with a very "pure" character but it's not different enough for me to recommend it over anything else. I think really what messed things up for me was people saying it was mind blowing and doing all this unique stuff, when it does have a somewhat unique approach, but only a little bit, and only in fits and bursts, and is otherwise a very regular shonen anime with a slightly different read on the the "generic lead" idea (but not unexpected if you've watched onepunchman, as wel).

Not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I‘m a backer and I wanted to say I’m actually really happy about the scrapping of ONE DAY EARLY. I would often listen to the show, and go to post in the thread, but it wasn't there yet!

There's never been a better value!

@“Jaffe”#p51856 I‘m glad we’re getting some inside baseball on the web format

{“sticky”:false}

It wasn‘t explicitly a recommendation but Tim’s mentioning of Death Panel Podcast inspired me to check it out. Certified banger podcast