Ep. 355 - Burger Ring'd By Astro Boy

Ep. 355 - Burger Ring’d By Astro Boy

Your Insert Credit Panel takes a look at the failure of Concord, finds the Normandy Beach of Racing Games, and gets ready to Wake n’ Quake. Hosted by Alex Jaffe, with Frank Cifaldi, Tim Rogers, and Brandon Sheffield. Edited by Esper Quinn, original music by Kurt Feldman.

SHOW NOTES:

Question 1: Which games have the nicest fans, and which games have the smartest fans? (04:07)

Question 2: What’s the most you’ve been hurt by a video game? (10:45)

Question 3: Let’s talk about Concord. Have we seen the death of multiplayer shooters outside the free to play model? (16:43)

Question 4: Which businesses in 1994 would you try to expand arcade cabinets to? (25:33)

Question 5: MoxBagel asks, select the ideal game for breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper, and Fourthmeal. (34:45)

Question 6: Which has the best game design: duck hunting, deer hunting, or fishing? (50:32)

LIGHTNING ROUND: GameFAQ&As: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (57:26)

Recommendations and Outro (01:00:54):

This week’s Insert Credit Show is brought to you by patrons like you. Thank you.

Subscribe: RSS, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and more!

9 Likes

I probably should have planned something for the 25th anniversary of 9/9/99 today. OOPS

11 Likes

Frequent 4X player who is also playing The Sims right now and is very much a “play it how you like” player. I’m feeling pretty chuffed at how smart I apparently am. Feel free to roast 4X players in the tradition of whispering in the emperor’s ear “Memento mori.”

7 Likes

Glad to see Tim early-backing Shadow of the Ninja as GOTY. Beat the game myself a couple days ago and have continued popping back in to get better times and find secret items. Devilishly delicious game, an instant all-time classic action platformer IMO. Will be remembered fondly, as all Tengo games will

9 Likes

It wasn’t that uncommon to see an arcade machine or two in UK pubs or bars in the 90s.

Fun story: My first games job in an actual office, circa 98, the pub we would frequent at lunchtime had a Neo Geo AES cab, and we would play a lot of Blazing Star on there. We were discussing the concept of coming to this same pub in the evening, and the concerned barmaid left her post to tell us that in the evenings this pub was the local Neo Nazi chapter’s favorite hang place, and that honestly we’d not likely survive the visit.

Also: Hurt by a videogame: genuinely shocked no-one mentioned being hurt by working on a videogame.

5 Likes

Another fun episode, thanks to the whole gang! A few links between questions which was fun for me:

When I was younger I remember seeing arcade machines in kebab shops! My first experience with SF2 rainbow edition was going after school and playing there when I also had a treat for my dinner. Which when you’re younger in the UK has another name (sit down American cousins): Tea, short for teatime, your evening meal.

Not me, but a friend who had his FFX 150 hour plus full sphere grid file deleted. By me.

7 Likes

So, my definitions are based on being raised by Southern grandparents. Breakfast is breakfast. Lunch is lunch. Dinner is a special lunchtime meal served on Sunday or a holiday, with or without guests (but usually someone drops in.) Supper is the evening meal. Fourthmeal, well, I do indulge occasionally.

As an adult with a Texan partner we often just use dinner to mean evening meal. “Supper” feels a bit folksy to me now which is a little sad I guess.

2 Likes

“dinner” means lunch sometimes too! being in the midlands i was brought up to swap between “lunchtime”/“dinnertime” at school but now it seems that “lunch” has beaten “dinner” for “midday-ish meal time.”

shadow of the ninja is really hard! feels like they didn’t do much to modernise the controls. actually it’s generally quite a barebones presentation. stuff like it doesn’t give you any pixel smoothing options or anything in the menu. i guess they know nobody uses those heheh. i need a baby difficulty mode.

3 Likes

Very true! A Sunday lunch/dinner is always interchangeable and you know what time you’ll be eating it. And the dinner bell at school was always for lunch!

Did you call your evening meal tea as well?

Taking into account the context of what I was doing, where I live, the precise streets I was skating, and the hour of day, I found this weeks episode to be quite Blastable from my JBL Clip 4.

Had to move my van for street sweeping at 10am, I always have Mondays off, it’s hella hot, and had to wait an hour parked in a gentrified neighborhood, needed to drop something off at my dear homie’s crib on the other side of the tracks, so I skated across, keeping my podcast flowing. It’s the only podcast I would not be ashamed of blasting in public, everyone’s voice sounds cool, the intellectual and ironic cadence is perfect per-minute, and they’re talking about Bay Area airports :joy:
It’s quiet on the streets and I’m moving slow, so I’m not blasting sonic the hedgehog music yet. What I’m saying is everything said in this podcast passes a “vibe check” for my streets in Venice. If another IC listener hears me blasting it you can approach me and we can fight. Ope, I see my dad moving his van now gotta go

PS my Silent Generation grandparents in Maine differentiate dinner and supper. Dinner is at home, supper is the Bean Supper they have early at 3/4 at a local small town joint with their entire community since the 30’s or whatever.

PPS: I found some CABELAS “real tree” pants at a thrift store in eastern Oregon last week, I forgot cabelas also produced barside hunting games so good to know my clothing is still 100% video game adjacent thank you

2 Likes

I am unreasonably upset at the Playstation d-pad for fighting games slander. :rage:

1 Like

Nocturnal Ending gamers = both nicest and smartest

2 Likes

interchangeable depending on how northern i feel or how northern the company i’m with are

1 Like

Is it age related as well? Up to my early teens it was always tea but it changed around then. I only say it now to help my boys learn the expression.

I have a son who is four. He loves the library since there is an arcade emulator machine there. He loves to play pacman. We drive by the library all the time and he always asks to go in. So, good work Brandon.

Loved the Mimsy learn to drive rec. That was a good time.

6 Likes

An ex partner* old and I used to chill in their apartment and drive Nuremberg ring on time trials for hours. It was a real bonding activity for us - they’re a car and motorsports person and could tell me all about it as we navigated the turns.

*“Ex” tends to have a negative connotation, but I think this person is great. We’ve fallen out of touch the last couple years, I hope they’re well. There’s also a chance they’re on this forum, too! If so, hi there!

3 Likes

As an original hardware enjoyer, I religiously will use original controllers, but also curate my own experience (sonic advance with a SEGA genesis controller? Yes please),
That said, I did switch to an Xbox Elite 2 for playing Super Smash Brothers Melee as well as all other smash games. For me, it’s as much about wearing out vintage controllers as it is comfort.

One point I’d like to make on the subject: everyone has different shaped hands, muscle memory, and musculature.
I think it’s like skateboarding, or any other sport at that point.

But I hear their point. I was slow to accept Xbox controllers at all Until last year.

“How northern I feel” is a highly relatable phrase

2 Likes

Ah, that’s great! Anything that makes the library a place you want to go as a kid means you’re gonna care more about a lot of cool things as an adult, I think.

5 Likes