Music - The Topic!

look i don’t like the dead

1 Like

tom just promise your children will never know the name glenn frey. James Gang is fine of course

my contributions to the American Bands Conversation:

1. the roches
  2. yo la tengo (famously)
  3. chic
  4. mr twin sister
  5. blondie
6 Likes

best american song

1 Like
  • Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
  • Mars Volta
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Smashing Pumpkins up to and including Machina II
  • I really love Pearl Jam from Vitalogy to Yield
  • Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
  • Anohni and the Johnsons
  • Talking Heads
  • The Decemberists
  • Mindless Self-Indulgence
  • 'Til Tuesday
6 Likes

here’s some cool music channels (imho) [this is how i find music]

it’s funny, i was just telling the new guy at work that i find music through weirdo youtube channels.

5 Likes

Oooh underrated. Haven’t heard them in a while. I came across them early on when they opened for The Strokes. Julian was chillin with the small-but-growing crowd while they blessed us with this beaut

1 Like

I just want to let you know I haven’t stopped all weekend and had about six minutes to myself (four of which I found an issue in Demonschool) - and I want to give your choices of songs the time and respect they deserve. Will try and listen tomorrow. I am genuinely excited by any new music, so can’t wait!

Well I made it through the list - thank you for that! I have to say it got better as it went on, big fan of the last two! Will definitly check out more Marek BiliΕ„ski in the future, aside from the cool name where his house is!

However, and I’m going to get soppy now, I can’t promise I won’t let my boys listen to those bands, sorry. The reason being is that if they get the joy from discovering music and it resonates for them in the way we’ve been lucky enough to, I can’t be the one to not let them have that.

Before I had children, I talked about an almost infinite list of music I wouldn’t let them listen to - but when I did and since then have seen the joy in their eyes when they find something new I just can’t. Best I can do is that if they come to me and say β€œHey Dad, do you like the Doors?” I can reply β€œThey’re not my cup of tea”. Even if without them, how will they know people are strange!

Thanks again for the recommendations. You can say I’m a fan of Polish Synth music now

R.E.M. is the best American band.

you know this raises an interesting dilemma. In general I agree, but if my kid were to one day say: I’ve been listening to a lot of wagner, and it really speaks to me. Then what do you do?

2 Likes

Let’s be real: if my Polish synthpop post had artists named Hiroko or Akiko or whatever it would set the world record for likes on this vipers nest called a forum. But you snakes see a Wojtek or Agnieszka and all of a sudden you’re not interested. I can read between the lines.

10 Likes

not synthpop but you played this during an NCA flight and its been on heavy rotation ever since

4 Likes

This is exactly what I was trying to say in my one β€œThings you wouldn’t like if they weren’t Japanese thread” from like two years ago lol (though I can only say it because I am probably more guilty of it than anyone else)

3 Likes

You hope that it’s not the message but the feeling from the music they’re getting.

If it’s the message then find out how to get them adopted maybe?

1 Like

yeah one of the best albums of the century imo

The Stara Rzeka/Alameda/Innercity Ensemble rabbit hole is a rich vein if you’re looking for new experimental music. Worth keeping an eye on what the Instant Classic label is putting out in general

3 Likes

aw man, this is all really good. Need to check more of this out.

In terms of adjacent vibes, I’m a really big fan of Carl Stone’s Stolen Car. Really cool deconstructed pop stuff happening here.

3 Likes

If there’s a formal correct answer @Tom hit it on the head, it’s the Beach Boys. If it’s what band do I like the best it’s the Pixies. As far as throwing names in the mix Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Allman Brothers and Nirvana seem conspicuously absent.

1 Like

This is a pretty fun one to think about. My mind goes here:

Definitely biased towards midtempo pop when considering the β€œβ€β€œObjectiveβ€β€œβ€ best. But in my heart of hearts it’s almost certainly an eighty-second song by Minutemen or a ten-minute song by Lightning Bolt

5 Likes

yeah i sincerely love thinking about undefinable and unquantifiable stuff like that. i was thinking what the β€œmost american” genres of music are and came up with so many that i won’t even post the list out of modesty and respect for all the international friends on the forum.

i don’t know why but something tells me this is also a strong contender:

2 Likes