Music - The Topic!

it’s the star spabgled banner of course

2 Likes

here’s something that might surprise you: yakety sax was written by an american

2 Likes

What would be the odds that, on reading an older issue of Insert Credit, that Brandon recommended a song, I look up the artist of that song, and they only just happened to release a new song 5 hours ago?!?

PS. Great idea having the one music thread :)

3 Likes

sonic youth not being mentioned in the discussion of best american bands is wild to me

4 Likes

4 Likes

top 10. Way too white to be considered #1

theyre in the top 700

top 650

top 20,0000

top 18,000

top 625

top 515

2 Likes

Ted Leo is the best US songwriter

1 Like

beach boys are my nemesis

ok top 15 then

1 Like

gotta be one of these two:

2 Likes

While I agree with your sentiment about the Beach Boys, I struggle to come up with a band that’s in their stratosphere when it comes to popularity, impact and critical appeal. Anyone of color that I would put ahead of them are solo artists or vocal groups.

Can’t say I understand your disdain of the other groups. While some of them would probably struggle to crack my top 100 bands, I get the appeal. Are the disruptive youths you’re regularly shooing off your lawn blaring classic rock Spotify playlists from their phones?

1 Like

heck while I’m here posting Detroit Techno in the music thread I may as well make a Kyle Hall appreciation post. I’m always listening to this dude, and if you’re a fan of of impossibly buttery smooth dance music, you should be too.

his new album is worth grabbing on bandcamp – most of his catalog isn’t streaming.

6 Likes

hell yeah

1 Like

i think a jazz song would be a serious contender for “best american” song but as with techno i find it hard to single out any particular track as it seems the entire movement is more important, though i suppose that could be said about any genre.

i mean couldn’t it be said that the one good beach boys album was more or less brian wilson’s project with some help from the fellas? if so, i’d say prince meets and exceeds that criteria and i will even go one step further and say prince is the best american musician of all time

7 Likes

i’d like to know everyone’s answer to this: imagine you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life, what album would you pick?

5 Likes

just one?

At last, the Insert Credit Albums Poll emerges… … …

5 Likes

Debated for a bit if it should be one or two

Let’s say just one as that’s harder to choose :)

1 Like

that’s tough. since it has to fill in a lot of emotional space, i’d probably go with 1996 by ryuichi sakamoto.

(playlist should play the whole thing)

since that’s kind of a “best of” and might not count for the rules of the game, i’d go with another sakamoto album, 音楽図鑑:

4 Likes

Oh for sure there’s a lot to be said about why choosing the ‘best jazz songs’ might feel weird. Many of the genre’s most famous songs/compositions have been recorded innumerable times by innumerable musicians (with, of course, each recording introducing innumerable variations/riffs), making their definitive versions up for debate. So it’s more common I think, in this kind of conversation, to focus instead on praising specific recordings/performances of jazz songs rather than focusing on the songs themselves.

That said, here’s some of my favorite, endlessly-re-recordable jazz standards:

• Round Midnight (T. Monk) (duh)
  • Naima (J. Coltrane) (prettiest love song ever written?)
  • Afro Blue (M. Santamaria) (McCoy Tyner’s recordings of this one shred, all of them)
  • Caravan (J. Tizol & D. Ellington) (check out the Harry Hosono version)
  • Moanin’ (B. Timmons) (has the most ‘hell yeah’ jazz riff of all time)

I could probably live with Sign o’ the Times.

6 Likes