Nomenclature You Like

I see this as a counterpart to the Nomenclature You Don’t Like thread. Sometimes in video games, a specific name, term, or turn of phrase can feel particularly apt: yes, you may think, the mot is bon. What is that for you?

I love the verbal pattern popularized (I think?) by Sonic the Hedgehog. (The title is half of a Hemingway shortest story: “For sale: Sonic the Hedgehog’s shoes.”) But seriously, in a few words it describes the key character and does a sort of sleight of hand. Over the course of play, I associate the game mechanics with the title, rather than leaning so much on the animal to determine the gameplay. Plus, I’ve grown to find it comfortable. Similar titles that I appreciate include Ecco the Dolphin and Spyro the Dragon.

13 Likes

Outer Heaven!!!

8 Likes

I think Flower, Sun, and Rain is a great name for a game.

I love games with terrible SEO, like Control. This is one area where I wish video games had the confidence to be a little more like longer-established forms of media more often.

12 Likes

I like the “Death Stranding” as the name of a cataclysmic event, but I also like to use “Death Stranding” to mean “carrying a bunch of stuff home from the grocery store.”

15 Likes

Though it describes something I don’t like, “bullshot” is clever and concise.

5 Likes

PS Triple

5 Likes

I also love to use “Speedrun” as a verb outside of a video game context. It’s a good verb. “I apeedran that whole pizza”

Earlier this year I was talking to a friend about speedrunning this semester of uni ( I didn’t do it I wasn’t powerful enough"

10 Likes

technically you can always speedrun uni if you’re doing any %

8 Likes

6 Likes

Love the term Aerial Rave for air juggle combos in Devil May Cry. Think they might use it in the Senran Kagura games as well.

6 Likes

For anything, really.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This was about the only worthwhile thing the culture got out of console wars.

My friends and I have been saying “up back” (the input for jumping and blocking in most fighers) and “I wavedashed backward” when retelling instances where we had to avoid something irl for at least 18 yrs.

Also, “scooping” use to be a common term for quickly gathering up your cards off the table after losing or forfeiting in card games.

3 Likes

I actually forgot about the Pyg song the name comes from!! There’s even a remix on the OST that seems to have only ever appeared in promos.

The Boris version is real good though.

2 Likes

I never knew it was a cover! Digging the original. I should dig deeper into ‘70s psych rock from Japan.

1 Like

Blast Processing

6 Likes

Jab, Strong, Fierce

Short, Forward, Roundhouse

6 Likes

CD-Rom²

4 Likes

CD rom rom

4 Likes

i always did love the name of the site cdromance

8 Likes