PS3 Performance - games what run well in the cell

I‘ve been in a big Playstation mood lately and have turned my attention to the PS3. A system I’ve never had much love for, but keep coming back to. I think I have come around to it now. So I'd like to know - what games excel on the hardware? I love Ridge Racer 7 which dazzles the senses with its 1080p 60fps and the Motorstorm series looks great. What else runs well? Most multi-platform releases were not great - at least in the early days of the system.

I am not an expert on things that run well, but I have been interested in disc-based games that remain PS3 exclusive, and I‘ve been slowly grabbing those where I can. Here’s a short list:

Killzone 2-3
Afrika
Folklore
Genji
White Knight Chronicles 1/2 (you can just buy 2 because 1 is included)\
Initial D extreme stage
kung-fu rider
Ridge Racer 7
Ryu ga gotoku kenzan (probably will get remade though)
Yakuza: dead souls
Megazone 23
Time and Eternity
Tokyo Jungle
Wangan Midnight
Drakengard 3

Games I'm a little less interested in but which are exclusive nontheless
Heavenly Sword
all the infamouses
the resistances (I played them all already, they're fine)
gran turismos

Yeah! there's some games

Shatter and Super Stardust HD are still satisfying on the old triple. Good port of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus too.

Edit: Few more not listed below (and some ports if people have PS3 HEN in mind...)

• - Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2 (easier ports for the PS3)
  • - Metal Gear Rising Revengence
  • - Mass Effect Trilogy
  • - Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
  • - The Ratchet and Clank PS3 exclusive games
  • - Soul Calibur IV and V
  • - Street Fighter X Tekken
  • - Ultra Street Fighter 4
  • - Tekken 6
  • - God of War III and Collections
  • - Sly Cooper 4 and PS2 collection
  • - The Atelier games
  • - Spider-Man Web of Shadows and Shattered Dimensions
  • - Zone of the Enders HD collection
  • - Resonance of Fate
  • - Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
  • - KOF XIII
  • - Critter Crunch
  • - Portal 2 and The Orange Box
  • - Arc System Works fighters like Blaz Blue series, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Guilty Gear Xrd
  • Noby Noby Boy.

PS3 has Katamari Forever! The best Katamari (don't @ me). Like every katamari I think it has some slowdown when a lot is happening on the screen but even the remakes have that.

Little Big Planet 2 also felt great but I think they took down the servers for it.

Top Spin 4 is great on PS3. Virtua Tennis 4 is its arcadey cousin and also quite service-able (pun intended).

Tales of Graces _f_ and Tales of Xillia have their problems but actually perform better than Tales of Zestiria did on the PS4/PC

puppeteer seems like an obscure one thats only on ps3 (though i forget if ps+ has it under a certain tier or something)

i played through a tiny bit of it and it seemed neat, i gotta try to sit down and get through it sometime

One of the reasons I made this post was John Linneman's DF Retro 1080P Dream videos.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Is any of Square Enix's output on the PS3 worth checking out? I see Drakengard 3 was mentioned.

E.X. Tr∞pers and Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F / 2nd are both portable games that got smoother PS3 ports.

Eternal Sonata on the PS3 is the revised edition and worth playing over 360.

Mostly I think of exclusives; I never had a 360 until way later so I have no idea what runs better on average lol

edit: lots to flip through, but I forgot DF did Eurogamer write-ups comparing the 360 and PS3 versions of various games on release. You can work your way backwards through the archive here: https://www.eurogamer.net/archive/face-offs?page=28

Looking at my own small collection…

I think it would be cool to own the PS3 version of Demons Souls. You've got the dad Nier while the remake is the young Nier. You've got the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection (remember when 3D TVs were a thing?). There is the metal gear solid collection - but they also announced the remasters. But that could also backfire if Konami messes with it too much.

Also I downloaded a bunch of PS1 and PS2 games on the console like Xenosaga, or God Hand, Suikoden etc. The store is old and weird and you won't find some games under the alphabetized categories so you need to search them directly.

Oh yeah and the FF13 collection. Although I think they're on PC?

@“exodus”#p128668 As a huge fan of the OVA, is that Megazone 23 game worth playing?

@“tomjonjon”#p128682 Drakengard 3 is a wild ride but if you’re looking for games that run well it should be at the bottom of your list. It’s the only game that has ever made me motion sick because the framerate is not just bad, it’s this weird swimmy bad that made my stomach turn. Genuinely the best way to play it is to emulate it if you have a powerful enough PC. You can get solid 30 or 60(with a patch) out of it with RPCS3.

>

@“exodus”#p128668 Drakengard 3

This game famously runs like butt on PS3 but I still love it (Edit: oops I was 2 minutes too late in saying this)
    and I still recommend it for it's batshit looney tunes story and if you don't mind the frame rate dipping to single digits occasionally. It also has a ton of DLC that I'm surprised hasn't been taken down yet.
    But Folklore, Eternal Sonata and White Knight Chronicles are all gorgeous and hold up really well.

# [color=deepskyblue]SHATTER[/color]

Also might be good:

• - 3D Dot Game Heroes, remember that? the RPG with the pseudo- actually sorry maybe they are actual voxels
  • - *Best of PlayStation Network Vol. 1*
  • - *Modnation Racers*
  • - the *MotorStorm*s
  • - I can't believe no one's mentioned *Valkyria Chronicles*!
  • @“MovingCastles”#p128686 I‘ll second all of this because you pretty much listed my whole ps3 collection lol. I’ll add that for the PS1/2 classics you can hook up the PS3 to a crt with composite cables and it looks pretty nice (depending on which model you have, though. I've got the big chunky one with all the ports). It even auto senses the correct aspect ratio if I remember correctly.

@“connrrr”#p128706 I believe Valkyrie Chronicles 1 got ported to PS4. It's actually a decent package.

Twisted Metal I remember performing well in single player, but being a hot mess online (even though that was the focus). Just a ton of stuff happening and moving at a fast clip without much of the PS3 screen tearing

>

@“Tradegood”#p128673 PS3 has Katamari Forever! The best Katamari (don’t @ me).

Not only the best Katamari, but the best Katamari *soundtrack* (you can @ me anytime)! I sang *Katamari on the Wings* at karaoke night just the other week. Got the room pumped, even though no one had heard it before.

I‘ve long considered getting a PlayStation 3 only to play Tokyo Jungle. But then I always end up with the same conclusion: “Well… I guess I shouldn’t get it only to play Tokyo Jungle…” And so I fail to obtain a PlayStation 3.

But I bought a PS Vita back in the day *only to play* Danganronpa, and that ended up being one of the best decisions I've ever made; changing my trajectory in life and introducing me to a world of games I never would have played otherwise!? So clearly my conclusion is flawed!?

@“HeavenlyHalberd”#p128699 I haven‘t actually gotten it yet, it’s just on my list!

Ahem ahem, a hacked PS3 can run We :heart:Katamari perfectly—imo the best Katamari and you can @ me anything you like just don't @ me late to dinner.