Scoffing down a Pizzer (and other silly ways we talk) Rebirth

That was filmed in central Alberta!

2 Likes

Your assessment is 100% correct. Iā€™d argue that Toronto also isnā€™t Canadian at all, but Vancouver might be even less so.

interesting. i can see the argument transposed in that new york is a very unique city in that thereā€™s nothing else like it in america, however itā€™s also a uniquely american city. a living contradictionā€¦

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s like, if youā€™ve only been to Tokyo, sure youā€™ve been to Japan. But you havenā€™t really been to Japan. Most countries have this phenomenon to some extent, I imagine.

1 Like

(time stamped)

2 Likes

You donā€™t hear Ottawa valley twang much in the city proper or where I grew up but I wish you did.

3 Likes

Would love to hear these guysā€™ takes on ā€œbagā€ and ā€œmilkā€

2 Likes

He covered melk! And bagel is close.

1 Like

Colour me surprised!! (EDIT: nevermind i thought you were talking about the ā€œout for a ripā€ video)

@connrrr Garage is another one. Thereā€™s already the UK garage vs the US garage, but then thereā€™s a whole other Canadian one where itā€™s more like ga-rahj.

Overall, I understand now why our friends from SK say that everyone in Vancouver sounds ā€œAmericanā€.

2 Likes

For about a decade and a half Iā€™ve been unable to hear Queen without these words echoing through my head:

3 Likes

Iā€™m trying to figure out what kind of sound you mean because ā€œmoamā€ and ā€œmomeā€ is not something a californian would ever sayā€¦??

1 Like

alright here we go, time to solve the mystery hopefully.

8 Likes

Now you say the ā€œwhen a dentist says open your mouth and say ahhhā€ you can clearly hear the ah sound in there. I think this dispute on how to say mom needs to be done vocally now, itā€™s the only way.

How I said your mother

P.S. - I honestly thought when you said ā€œHello this is bā€¦ā€ you were going to say Brandon, which while I appreciate the introduction did seem kinda pointless.

P.P.S. What are game tapes?!!?

3 Likes

ā€œGame tapesā€ are a joke I hear from folks like tim and Brent Porter about what moms called video games (because they were on cartridges and cassette and vhs tapes were popular and a similar form factor - like calling videos mp3s which my own mom has done)

6 Likes

Huh? I was under the assumption everybody grew up with an Action Max and a Pops Ghostly tape.
s-l400

3 Likes

I had an feeling it would be along those lines. When I went from computers to games consoles, the upgrade from tapes to cartridges wasnā€™t as big a change for me as it was my parents.

We didnā€™t have a VCR well into the late 80s at home, but even then thatā€™s the first Iā€™ve heard of either of Action Max. Growing up in England we lived a sheltered lifeā€¦

2 Likes

I have a strong feeling youā€™re not alone. Iā€™m probably one of ten people whoā€™ve played that thing.

2 Likes

Having seen the video for Blue Thunder, I can tell I missed out. I can imagine at the time my young mind would have been blown wide open with that.

Music rocks as well :metal:t2: :metal:t2: :metal:t2:

1 Like

Also, unrelated to this topic, but very related to this topic - as weā€™re learning about things people did and didnā€™t grow up with, is there any enthusiasm to creating a topic about those things from our childhoods which people may have not known because of where they grew up? Sort of a How the &^#$ did I not know that? - Gaming Edition childhood edition?

2 Likes