Scoffing down a Pizzer (and other silly ways we talk) Rebirth

when someone born in philly uses it, it’s believable but otherwise yeah it can only be used affectionately but ironically by anyone else

1 Like

Haha, Baltimore has some real wild ones, like ambulance, library, and chimney!

Spoiler: Amble-ants, lie-berry, and chim-lee.

I see what you mean about it being close to a Kiwi accent, and it kinda is, but it generally prefers longer vowels, whereas Kiwi clips vowels pretty short for the most part.

Also I have to point out that a lot of these things aren’t as distinct as they used to be-- the last time I was in Baltimore, none of the people I encountered under 35 had anything approaching the dialect folks did when I lived there.

3 Likes

Well that spoiler prounciation is how my sons say it to annoy me - damn you Knuckles in Sonic Boom!!!

Has it really change that much as an accent and almost language since you left?

2 Likes

My sample’s pretty small, but yeah, it’s way milder than it used to be! This is a thing in the US though-- accents have softened in the last 50 years. I’m sure it’s something that’s been happening for a long time though!

3 Likes
6 Likes

i’d love to see data behind this, but i agree. i suspect it has to do with the proliferation of the internet (and videos), the flattening of slang, and people migrating internally

3 Likes

It does seem to be a symptom of globalization. Ironically “y’all” is more popular than it’s every been and grows in use. Partially because of the flattening of accents and partially because english needs a better word for a group of people.

4 Likes

i really don’t like the non-southern y’all. sounds too folksy and twee for me.

fortunately or not, my default is still “you guys” which has never felt gendered to me. i understand it does to others, though, so i try to say “everyone” or “team” in the workplace.

4 Likes

I use y’all and a couple of turns of phrase from my childhood. I reckon I do it when I want (consciously or subconsciously) to feel more connected to the Appalachian side of my family. It’s a mite performative - maybe twee - but it reminds me of hearing my dad unexpectedly say warsh up for wash up when around his family. It’s a connective gesture.

5 Likes

I just uncontract it when I need a second person plural.

5 Likes

it’s never bad when either of you say it

1 Like

Being an unabashed hick, not only do I have unfettered usage of “y’all” but I can also unironically access the immense utility of “folks.”

4 Likes

My ex boyfriend’s Boston parents literally laughed in my face once for casual “y’all” usage. I said “I’m glad y’all got a chance to come visit us.”

Changed my mind on that sentiment pretty quickly.

4 Likes

Genderless and monosyllabic, can’t beat it!

2 Likes

9 Likes

You guys just makes me want to say it in like a Joe Pesci voice.

Folks is quite popular now, but even being born in the south it sounds twee as heck to me. I also just don’t really like how folks sounds. I use y’all pretty regularly in speech but do the more formal “you all” in email / text

4 Likes

Just gonna drop this here in case you and your Saskatchewan pals are unaware of it:

2 Likes

i am shocked by these results! idk, i’ve lived on the west coast my whole life and pronouncing the L in calm and palm is not something i really ever hear. they rhyme with the com in dot-com to me. or like, pom, aka a pomeranian

1 Like

This video is much more Ontario than anything else, but the use of “buddy” as an indefinite pronoun (i.e. “yeah buddy is coming by later” or “me and buddy were out drinking last night”) is something I definitely heard for the first time here.

I think Northern Ontario has the Most Canadian Accent/Dialect, and as you get closer to that area, the more Canadian people become. Saskatchewan is like 75-80% of the way there, whereas Vancouver is just not Canadian at all.

4 Likes

where is Zap Rowsdower from?

1 Like