Scoffing down a Pizzer (and other silly ways we talk) Rebirth

yeah maybe I’m hearing more like a mawm. I need to hear a californian say “ma” would it sound like “moe”

malm

• calm and palm (pronounced as they are written)
  • cahm and pahm (no L)
0 voters
1 Like

Honest question here for my ears, is the first answer a more western US sound and the second more a New England/North Eastern sound?

When I said them out loud that’s how I heard it, but think this is another vote I can’t participate in,.

your malm

2 Likes

no it’s flatter than a NE accent. Between mawm and mome

So less nasal then?

correct yeah it’s a low mome

they sometimes do this thing where the longer they go on speaking a sentence, their speech loses affect and recedes. very distinctive

maybe thats more of a strictly LA phenomenon

Honestly this stuff is incredibly granular in different US locales, and even within US locales. My family (mostly Maryland, some originally from central Virginia) completely obliterates the L in calm and palm but my dad always inexplicably pronounced salmon "SAL-min’. It’s bonkers.

2 Likes

Is this kind of a calm / comb or mawm / mome merger? So the vowel is going slightly higher in the mouth in relaxed speech? Like from open mid to close mid?

1 Like

maybe. I bring it up bc I caught some of this random fantasy tv show and this Faerie or whatever is running around then references her “mome”. Magical fey creature from Monrovia

1 Like

So they basically run out of steam by the end of a sentence.

not quite. It’s more that the tone goes deeper and gets kind of tentative and swallowed

“mome” I associate with the more “refined” british accents, and a fantasy setting would play into that association as well.

this actor was speaking in a american accent though, but I know what you mean

There is a difference in England. South we say mum, but the more north you go you hear mam. Usually with a double a but not like ma’am in the US, just maam.

The calm and palm examples there sound almost like a Kiwi accent when you say of dropping the L.

The salmon, that’s a totally new one!

1 Like

I’m Midwest and I pronounce salmon that way as well. Growing up around a family that sound like they live in a coal mine has ingrained a lot of mannerisms in me that are hard to kick. I really struggle with color and roof.

2 Likes

as a philly resident I must bring up “jawn”. I’m a transplant so I’m not adept at it’s usage (and would never say it in casual conversation to someone from philly), but it basically means thing ie “Look at that jawn”, or referring to a group " Those Jawns better get to school", a place “I’m not going to that jawn” etc etc. It really can mean anything

4 Likes

i gotta admit i’ve never heard someone use “jawn” in a sentence that didn’t sound just a little performative

1 Like