Scoffing down a Pizzer (and other silly ways we talk) Rebirth

i KNOW i was just trying to clarify your statement

2 Likes

Ha! Well here is something I did not expect to find. Manufactured domestically in Japan, corn grits!

Is 1,188 yen for 1 kg (thatā€™s $8.30 USD for 2.2 lbs) an insane price?

5 Likes

nah decent deal. $5 for 16 oz out here

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Wow thatā€™s a crazy video, seems made up but also logical in its way.
I think this kind of thing has been around for a while actually.
I was recently perusing a book about a chain of railroad restaurants in the late 1800s that had a similar ā€œmarking codeā€ for orders.

Fred Harvey Company - Wikipedia

Service was so efficient, in fact, that it included a Cup Code . When train passengers were seated, the Harvey Girl attending them would take their drink order. They would then turn the cup to indicate which beverage the customer wanted. A cup turned up indicated coffee; a cup turned upside down meant tea.

ā€œWanted: Young women 18 to 30 years of age, of good moral character, attractive and intelligent, to waitress in Harvey Eating Houses on the Sante Fe in the West. Wages, $17.50 per month with room and board. Liberal tips customary. Experience not necessary. Write Fred Harvey, Union Depot, Kansas City, Missouri.ā€

Sweethearts of the West ā€” The Harvey Girls (slatonharveyhouse.com)

1 Like

at jimmy johns, we love to say no

1 Like

In Saskatchewan, people call dinner ā€œsupper.ā€ This sounds incredibly quaint to my ears, but maybe itā€™s incredibly normal in many places, and just not where I grew up. People also say ā€œripā€ to mean driving your car. ā€œGoing for a ripā€ means going for a drive and ā€œripping down to the storeā€ means driving to the store. Hoodies are called ā€œbunnyhugs.ā€

These are just a few observations Iā€™ve made over the summer. I hope to learn more winter-related terms in the coming months.

8 Likes

Yeah I straight up didnā€™t know about sweet grits til they came up in this thread

4 Likes

This has brought to mind how when I was growing up in Baltimore, my family used ā€˜dinnerā€™ and ā€˜supperā€™ in a completely ambiguous way. I grew up and left home of course, and my partner and I use ā€˜dinnerā€™ exclusively to refer to the evening meal. But then as an adult, talking with my dad I started to notice that he wasnā€™t actually using dinner and supper interchangeably-- sometimes dinner meant the evening meal, but sometimes, on the weekend, it meant the big meal of the day. But then also, supper mostly meant the late meal on the weekend, but it also was used interchangeably with dinner for the late meal on a weekend? Anyway, asking him about this led me nowhere, because it was almost as though he didnā€™t understand what I was even asking? And asking my mom about it just got her mad at me because I think she thought I was making fun of my dad or something?

So yeah, I never figured out the specificity of using dinner and supper, or if this was a regional thing or something very specific to my messed up family.

To add confusion to the whole thing, I looked up the etymology of both words and found out that historically in English, the three meals of a day were breakfast, dinner, and supper, which completely ruined my brain for all this stuff.

3 Likes

omg Iā€™ve heard the stories. How can they throw around such adorable language so casually?

4 Likes

what would they say if they were smoking a huge bong

5 Likes

ā€œgonna take this bong for a driveā€

9 Likes

I will now insist they are called that at home now forever!!!

1 Like

anyone ever notice how people from california canā€™t say the word ā€œmomā€ correctly

They donā€™t use the ā€œUā€?

1 Like

they say ā€œmoamā€ as in ā€œnoamā€ chomsky

I canā€™t even get my mouth around that pronunciation. I struggle to say it with an O but that is just out there!

well Iā€™ve never heard that in my life. every californian I know says mom in a way that rhymes with calm.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just throwing my hat into the grits discourse. Bad grits are awful. Good Grits are a gift for taste buds.

Shrimp and Grits is the common dish that they are served with outside of breakfast. Basically grits cooked with so much butter, cheese, and stock to be rich and decadent, often topped with a little bacon and maybe green onions, and then some delicious shrimps piled on top. Not veggie friendly, but it is nap friendly.

Sweet grits are not a thing. They have an inherent sweetness because corn does, but grits are not served as or thought of as a sweet (in the south).

Collards and Black eyed peas are the southern dish I would suggest for most people especially because you can be vegan with it and dress it to your taste

3 Likes

Hanging out with bearded tradesmen as they discuss their favourite bunnyhug to wear in winter and what theyā€™re having for supper is a sublime experience.

2 Likes