Scoffing down a Pizzer (and other silly ways we talk) Rebirth

Rapeseed oil usually for cooking pretty much anything that needs frying really. Butter is amazing but we try to limit cooking with it. Mainly as there’s enough butter in everything else!

3 Likes

had no idea waffle house was regional. no wonder people in Tn and Fl are obsessed with it. We really don’t have them in california? weird. seems too generic and not southern enough to be regional. seems like it’d be from the west with its chilled out, inoffensive vibe.

2 Likes

california could never be as inclusive as your average waffle house….

2 Likes

what’s that waffle house order (impossible mode)

5 Likes

6 Likes

I have never been to a Waffle House but it is my understanding this is completely accurate.

6 Likes

Once in 2014 I was playing Mother 2 on a DS Lite in a waffle house and 20 years old waitress said “you’re playing pokemon???”

5 Likes

yes but also so do other 24hr places in my experience, especially ones near bars and clubs

1 Like

Lifelong Canadian here, longtime resident of Japan. I love oatmeal, and have long been fascinated with the concept of grits, but have never tried the latter. Does loving oatmeal have any bearing on whether I’d like grits? Or are they just two completely different things?

7 Likes

That’s correct! Or thereabouts. I could be off on timing but within the last few years. OR I forgot because it wasn’t getting memed all the time on the internet until more recently. It’s not the kind of thing that would enter my sphere organically. Like if you’ve not been to the south you would not have any reason to know what a Publix is.

@whatsarobot they are texturally quite different unless you’re eating the stone cut oats. Flavor wise grits are sweeter and often more gelatinous. Anyway I’m sure you can order grits on the internet!

5 Likes

I didn’t know what a Waffle House was until it was memed into an incessant request for a Tekken stage.

4 Likes

Signature triple scrambled eggs with cheese!

I proud to say I watched that whole video and learned not only is that just some of the many marks at Waffle House but Greg is a hypocrite.

Don’t tell me after 23 minutes of putting food on plates to wear gloves when you’re not wearing gloves Greg. You could have made someone sick and you didn’t care. Now someone has to use that food so it’s not wasted and they’re going to get sick.

Why did you do it Greg? Why?

4 Likes

I take it back. Turns out Greg went from area VP to SVP of Operations.

Apparently not wearing gloves in the kitchen is bad for hygiene but good for working your way up at Waffle House. That or he took everyone out during his meteoric climb by serving food prepared without wearing gloves…

2 Likes

That sounds pretty good, potentially! You can order anything on the internet, but the risk of getting a whole bag of something I potentially don’t want to eat is not one I’m willing to take!

2 Likes

I know the thread started off as a response to how specifically Brits talk but this guy has an uncanny knack for nailing most of the “main” Welsh accents so please revel in some of the slang and how utterly non-English most of us sound (not me though because I’m a freak).

4 Likes

I personally love both, but I’ve found that grits are incredibly divisive! So I don’t know if you’d enjoy them, but I’d recommend them! Also, grits are overall very often served savoury in a way that oatmeal could be but in practice often isn’t. I think part of the divisiveness is honestly a class thing, since grits are often perceived as kind of a low class thing (they aren’t; they’re wonderful).

(An adjacent thing to grits is hominy, which are big puffy corn kernels, often served savoury. The process by which they get this way is really fascinating to learn about. Hominy is even more divisive than grits, and is also considered a poverty food by some people, but yeah-- try it, it’s really amazing!)

I’ve never seen either anywhere in Canada, at least not to date!

7 Likes

By the way, if it wasn’t already obvious by his voice and the fact that this is a southeast regional chain, there’s another southeast regional thing in here

every time he says “Jelly Pack” I’m reminded of working at Jimmy Johns in Tennessee, where we called them “Mustard Packs”. I later went on to work at Jimmy Johns in California, where we did not call them that.

3 Likes

i worked at jimmy johns too :saluting_face:

are you saying you called jelly packs mustard packs in TN, or just that the word pack for a mustard packet was strange? what did they call them in CA, just mustard sans-pack?

1 Like

I think you’ve convinced me! I have tried my oatmeal savoury, and I do enjoy it that way from time to time.

3 Likes

if you worked at jimmy johns then you know we don’t have jelly packs :moyai::moyai::moyai::moyai::moyai::moyai::moyai::moyai::moyai:

or hot sandwiches or pickles sliced anything but the long way

we called them mustard packets or just mustards. nothing in between.

no one where I lived as a child had grits with salt. it was always brown sugar or cheese.

3 Likes