Scoffing down a Pizzer (and other silly ways we talk) Rebirth

Waffle House rules. I’ve seen people despair the “death of the American diner” and it’s totally alive and well in WH. I used to live a few doors down from location number 1000 and the other way was the original Waffle House location which is now a “Waffle House Museum” (regrettably never open!)

2 Likes

There is also, perhaps surprisingly, a whole lot of the world that is not inside the US.

I do not understand a single thing about the hash brown poll, or what any of those options would do to a little fried potato thing.

“Grits” does not sound like food. It sounds like a plate of sand or gravel. Maybe potatoes are just … really big gravel?

4 Likes

@rejj grits are really good. it’s ground cornmeal turned into a porridge. most people eat them with butter and salt, sometimes with cheese and sometimes even sweetened with sugar or syrup. a staple of southern food.

8 Likes

See this is why grits didn’t make it to the commonwealth - as cornmeal is a really new thing for most of us.

I’ve had them once, when visiting the south. Not a fan at all, but I had savoury ones and I prefer a sweet breakfast.

4 Likes

in my experience you have to put heart attack inducing amounts of salt and butter in them to make them good. did you eat any other strange or strangely good American foods while you were here?

Also, absolutely recommend watching the YouTube video I posted lol. Waffle House cooks are doing gods work.

3 Likes

Nothing that comes to mind as super strange to be fair. I think grits could very well be the strangest of them all as they were so unlike anything I ever had before.

One strangely good thing I did pick up a habit for is Frank’s Buffalo Wing sauce! Not on wings - that’s a fascination I’ve never understood in America, but I love that sauce and make spicy dippers or burgers with them all the time.

I will check the video later. Already looking the picture has made me hungry and it’s almost time for tea here!

1 Like

nah just like basic farina with milk, brown sugar, and a small amount of butter is good. But you have to get the cook time right so they dont get gluey

1 Like

3 Likes

“Small amount of butter” in American = “heart attack inducing” in (non-french) European

2 Likes

US grits has caribbean cousins that are real good. In the DR we have a similar dish called Chenchen. I believe there is also Funche from PR, and Cuba surely has their own version but I forget the name.

3 Likes

Except here in France. It’s pretty on par with US portions of butter. Just up North we cook more with it.

If course don’t get stated on the cakes…

2 Likes

I don’t know how they cooked them but I first had grits at my university’s vegan soup kitchen and they were amazing. The second time I had them was when some vegan yankee friends came to visit. Probably all loaded with earth balance, I guess.

1 Like

My reaction to that order calling system:

4 Likes

I was going to say French people seem to REALLY like butter and I’m pretty sure France has been considered part of Europe for some time now!

3 Likes

All I know is Anthony Bourdain once said that any trip to a French restaurant involved eating at least one entire stick of butter.

2 Likes

statement amended :raised_hand: :expressionless: :raised_back_of_hand:

It’s a divide here, North you cook in butter, South more Olive oil. Recipes aside such as baking and other you use butter in it, if you have a pan and you’re cooking in it for fat that’s the difference.

Fried eggs cooked in butter are something else!

2 Likes

True, but I’m giving #polishadvice on this one

4 Likes

Semolina, grits, farina, hominy… honestly I eat grits most mornings but many Corn Mysteries remain…

1 Like

What do you normally use?

1 Like