Scoffing down a Pizzer (and other silly ways we talk) Rebirth

that’s true. Posh is at the bottom, then The fuzz above them. Sort of a Pasolini analysis of class conflict

It’s messy, as you can have a posh scouser, posh punters, chavy gooners and and many other combinations.

I’d put posh not at the bottom, as some people say I’m posh because I say thanks and not fanks. But I just talk proper

kind of a complicated set up you have over there isn’t it

You’ve only just hit the tip of a very mixed up iceberg.

1 Like

I’ve heard from a few folks that people are moving away from “chav”. Not an explicitly offense word, but a loaded one. Kind’ve like how us Americans are moving away from the term “white trash” to describe a particular kind of impoverished person.

I wouldn’t say it’s a loaded word as it’s not such the derogatory term as it used to be. I know people who have been proud to be called chavy and it’s said not just for other people but objects too. I suppose it’s a term like white trash which can be used as an insult but others don’t see offence and are proud of it.

I don’t know of anyone who’d call someone a chav as an insult, but plenty that would say something someone did could be chavy.

1 Like

Jumping in at the halfway point but I agree with pretty much everything that @Tom said re: rankings and definitions.

Chav is a bit of an odd one and there is definitely a spectrum of chaviness. Also, before the term became pervasive they were generally called “townies”, i.e. people that used to loiter around town and cause trouble.

Chav has elements of that plus, to a greater or lesser extent, wearing ignorance as a badge of honour. The “uniform” is generally sports tracksuits, cheap, ostentatious jewellery (giant hooped earrings for women or neck chains for guys), Burberry baseball caps and similar styled items. Other clothes typical of them are hooded sweaters usually to hide their identities.

You definitely get friendly chavs but you will more often than not find them being quite threatening and hanging out at bus shelters, play parks, or other public places generally being a nuisance. They’re also generally associated with car and bicycle thefts and knife crime.

The worst part is that a lot of working class people on council estates that aren’t chavs get associated with them because of where they live or their income brackets, living situation etc.

I don’t really have a way of summing this up but that’s essentially what chavs are!

2 Likes

so theyre like dresy or gopniks

After reading the Wikipedia page for dresiarz, it’s spot on.

See also[edit]

2 Likes

2 Likes

i grew up in olympia and live in portland now, been in various zones of the pnw my whole life, and while i’m sure i still hear holler/fuss once in a while, they do sound kinda rural to me. like, shelton or gresham or somewhere smaller than olympia (which is itself not like, huge)

hootin’ 100% sounds like someone who recently moved here from texas tho

1 Like

Wonder if this is the thread where we talked about regional fast food chains and brought up COOK-OUT
anyways, yesterday, here in Venice beach, CA, I saw Japanese tourists, and one of them was wearing a bright red COOK OUT t shirt. And I was like damn. That’s funny.

1 Like

How do you like your hash browns?

• Scattered
  • Smothered
  • Covered
  • Chunked
  • Diced
  • Peppered
  • Capped
  • Topped
  • Country
  • I am ordering grits, not hash browns
  • Why can’t I just have the sleeve of potato that McDonalds does?
0 voters
3 Likes

have never seen any of the above terms applied to hash browns just call them hash browns

4 Likes

have you never been to Waffle House?

2 Likes

grits are actually so good though.

3 Likes

People are incredulous about this sort of thing but I had never heard of it until the pandemic.

5 Likes

no, as per the map posted above it’s just not my zone

1 Like

crazy. they had 0 in Michigan where I grew up but were a fixture on roadtrips etc. great place to get a cheap meal at all hours. i guess out west they’re fewer and farther between, but @exodus are you saying you never heard of it before 2020?

in Michigan we had coney islands, which were just 24 hour Greek diners. Coney dogs were a mainstay but so were hanis, three bean soup, saganaki, bumpy cake…

5 Likes