Having a very normal morning on this very normal day.

abba zabbas are such a strange candy. I’m going to miss it once every 10 years when I think about getting one.

Also what the most old timey grampa-candy in terms of vibes? I’m going to say horehounds.

3 Likes

I think necco (1847) might be the oldest but yeah horehounds (1919) somehow feel more geriatric.

4 Likes

The day they stop making Good & Plenty, I’m going to have a breakdown.

5 Likes

I had no idea that necco was that old! Horehounds feel like a candy that would be found in a pouch of some bog person in Europe.

3 Likes

Does anyone else think Mary Janes could rebrand as edibles and become relevant again?

Candy-Mary-Jane-Wrapper-Small

11 Likes

Necco was extremely popular in Chicago during the 1990s after it was discovered the automatic tollbooths on the expressways could be tricked into counting them as quarters :man_scientist:

9 Likes

My grandpa would always go visit all the girls/women in the family on Valentine’s Day to give them sweethearts, the worst candy on earth. I think he still does it actually but he doesn’t drive anymore so maybe he orders them online or something. Anyway. One year he tried to make up for the boys getting jealous of the bad candy by giving us necco wafers. That’s the only time I’ve ever had them, and if I ever have one again it’ll be too soon

5 Likes

Werther’s aren’t that old, but they sure do have that association these days. They have prematurely aged, I suppose. I feel like rootbeer candy feels pretty old, especially since they’re still often shaped like barrels. Y’know, because we still store all our liquids in barrels. (If it’s shaped like a barrel it SHOULD taste like whisky, but what do I know!)

Also, does anyone actually LIKE Whoppers?

5 Likes

I bet england has some weird old time candy

edit: what are the good fucked up old people candies from the UK @Tom

3 Likes

I love Dots and my girlfriend always makes fun of me for it. THEY ARE GOOD.

10 Likes

@wickedcestus highly plausible that Herman Melville enjoyed(?) necco wafers, no?

4 Likes

Of course it does! When I was a wee lad and many years before, you’d go into a shop and ask for some sweets, the English term, and they’d take a big jar off a shelf and weigh out the ones you wanted! You had some amazing flavours like:

custard cream
Strawberries and cream
cola cubes
pear drops (yes pear flavour!!)

And the oldest person one that comes to mind, Simpkins Travel Sweets: Travel Tins Collection – AL Simpkin Traditional British Sweets Manufacturer I don’t know of anyone who was from my grandparents generation who didn’t have a tin of them in their car. And they were awesome. I’m almost old enough to have a tin =)

Oh that takes me back.

8 Likes

oh yeah! my mom would buy simpkins for me at the international store when I was a kid. They were good compared to american fruit flavored candy.

2 Likes

can you provide a ruling on the following:

Fry’s chocolate cream
Kendal mint cake
Pontefract cake

4 Likes

For you, anything:

Fry’s chocolate cream - classic chocolate bar, tastes like peppermint cream
Kendal mint cake - very minty and full of energy. Think of it like a chewy monster drink, but an actual flavour
Pontefract cake - liquorice tastes like concentrated evil.

So in order of preference there too.

4 Likes

Dots are top tier.

5 Likes

gosh darn it. now I really want hard candy but I don’t even know if I can get european candy in my town anymore.

Dots are one of the best movie theater candies for sure

6 Likes

I haven’t had dots in years. Now I want some. I used to LOVE them when I was a kid. I once ate like 5 boxes in a row cause my grandma had bought a lot of candies for my cousins and me and nobody wanted the dots. I have a vivid memory of my poop being rainbow colored after it lol.

Just checked and they are vegan. Gonna get me some next time I see them at a store.

6 Likes

IC forums are truly special <3

7 Likes