Having a very normal morning on this very normal day.

I just thought of the correct answer:

2 Likes

we have those in the US but here they’re sold as medicinal if you have a sore throat, cold etc

1 Like

To be fair they’ve always been thought of as a lozenge, but old people see them as sweets.

Have you had them?

source for this claim?

1 Like

My dad loved fisherman’s friends! I hated them as a kid but now I’ve come around. It took me 33 years but here I am. The cherry flavored ones are good. They taste nothing like cherry at all!

4 Likes

Old people. Specifically the ones I knew are all dead now sadly as it was mostly my family members.

1 Like

wild. those are the lozenges i use when i feel like going nuclear on a sore throat. but i suppose people like salt and anise too.

2 Likes

Anything you can put in your mouth and suck to the point of disappearing is generally called a sweet. People in England call a lozenge a throat sweet.

Should have opened with that really.

1 Like

fishermans friend was great as a kid because it was a way to eat candy during class without getting in trouble.

1 Like

I like how this has become a candy thread.

6 Likes

i like whoppers! especially when a friend, with a pencil, turns the whoppers on the box into penises
i like me some good ‘ol immaturity with my good tasting and crunchy candy

3 Likes

I like how loosely goosey small forums can be

3 Likes

I do not like Whoppers themselves, but I do like higher quality malted milk balls from chocolate shops

3 Likes

the English really do not do themselves any favors

8 Likes

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

5 Likes

i like to imagine the origin story as an englishman being embarrassed about having a cough

“is that a lozenge?”

“no….it’s a throat sweet”

6 Likes

Try coughing while saying lozenge. Then try throat sweet.

Rolls off the tongue better ;)

2 Likes

@sabertoothalex Dots are maybe my favorite non-chocolate candy. The grocery store kept putting the lemonade Dots on sale this summer, which was wonderful.

But yeah, I like Fry’s chocolate cream, and really any chocolate bar that is (a) dark, (b) covering nougat, or (b) has an effective flavor complement, like mint, bacon, or orange.

Which brings me to my favorite movie candy, Sno-Caps.

4 Likes

sno-caps are terrible but I still like em!!

6 Likes

cordial cherries are a very “old person” candy to me (admittedly stretching the word candy here).

there’s also a category in my brain of “mom candy” like peppermint patties, paydays, flipz pretzels, and peach rings. though perhaps that’s just my mom.

3 Likes