INSERT CREDIT TIME ATTACK!

also, if anyone else remember this same website/circle that ran the , please let me know. i‘m sure it’s some completely dead .ne.jp webhost, but maybe they had a livedoor blog or something…

"砂漠の王" understandably just gives me 2 million results about the stratos.

### POLL RESULTS:

>

Ridge Racer V - Green Field

> 143 points

>
>

WipEout 3 - Porto Kora

> 142 points

>
>

F-Zero X - Big Blue: Cylinder

> 137 points

>
>

Virtua Racing - Acropolis

> 135 points

>
>

Sega GT 2002/Online - Tide Street Battle

> 123 points

>

Wow this was MUCH closer than I was expecting!

**_HOWEVER_**

I made a significant mistake in my vetting process, and I apologize.
There are some issues with using ridge Racer V for this that I did not foresee!
Firstly, you can't just hop in, select Time Attack, and go. You have to win a few GPs and start getting cars first, and V has the steepest learning curve of the series. It's a pretty significant time investment before you can start banging out lap times! Additionally, the game is still _very_ broken on emulators, unfortunately. Despite being the first game to have gone gold for the PS2, it still has some pretty severe framebuffer issues in things like PCSX2 and LRPS2 that affect physics and clockspeed as well as the more obvious glitches like broken texture calls.

So I'm calling an audible here, and going with the next choice, which was nearly tied anyway, so hopefully folks are still excited for it!

Our new INSERT CREDIT TIME ATTACK is . . .

### WipEout 3 - Porto Kora

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/ClIfnWF.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/ClIfnWF.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This track is available in every version of the game across regions, and it works just fine in emulators as well.

Select your craft and start plotting your air braking routes, folks!

\ (^ o ^) /

@“andrewelmore”#p130589 I‘ve added a new tab to the old spreadsheet. I’ve tweaked the table for this one to be more game specific (Class, Team, platform).

Also, for any Pros, here's [the link to Speedrun.com.](https://www.speedrun.com/wo3?h=Porto_Kora-Vector&x=l_gdrp3glw-9d8p1m7k) Their rules are "You mustn't change the game settings. (Keep checkpoints, weapons and 11 AI ships." I've never played this, but Vector is the fastest speed class, and everyone uses the Icaras ship.

I have played wipeout before, but i kinda forgot how the boosting system works. So I went and looked up the manual. Linking it in case anyone else needs it.

Also, you can unlock all ships with [a cheat code](https://www.ign.com/wikis/ps-cheats/WipEout_3_Cheats)

@“hellomrkearns”#p130599 I got a chance to boot up the game and Vector is actually the slowest speed class, but in time trial mode you complete one more lap for each successive speed class (two for Vector, three for Venom, four for Rapier, five for Phantom). That's why the Speedrun.com times look that way.

So for the theoretical fastest lap times, pick Phantom and Icaras. You can instantly unlock both by entering 'AVINIT' and 'JAZZNAZ' on the default name screen (from the IGN page linked above).

Edit: Also you can play this game in widescreen! Enable 'Widescreen Correction' in Video Setup. You may also have to force 16:9 in your emulator/TV settings.

>

@“Bbtone”#p130630 I got a chance to boot up the game

I also started playing it earlier and maybe we should have like a rule set defining what are we competing for? cause I was extremely confused about the speed classes and the increasing laps

Yeah, agreed. I think once people get their hands on the game it might help to put speed class to a vote.

For whatever it’s worth, as a WipeOut newbie I already feel comfortable with Rapier, but I could get used to Phantom if we go that way.

I tend to err on the side of leaning towards default on these things, so maybe we just leave it on Vector and get the combined two laps for simplicity's sake?

don't forget this game supports the neGcon!

@“andrewelmore”#p130668 after playing it a bit I personally think Vector is way too slow.

Maybe we could leave a day or two for everyone to test the game and figure out which class works best?

I have played a lot of Wipeout 3. (or more specifically I suppose, Wipeout 3 Special Edition)

I am super rusty at Wipeout 3 now.

I loaded it up in emulation and had one run at Porto Kora in time trial mode (not single race), and only have ever really cared about single lap times rather than whole race times. But that's just me.

Here's a really bad, rusty first lap back in the saddle at vector porto kora

@“rejj”#p130734 As someone who‘s put a lot of time into WO3SE, can you tell the difference in handling between that and vanilla WO3? I’ve always found that SE feels a little better somehow, but that could just be placebo/PAL superiority complex.

SE is a little floatier than W3.

Full disclosure, the above clip is from W3SE not vanilla W3, cause that is what I already had. There are some differences in W3 between the NTSC and PAL versions also – due to 50Hz vs 60Hz, the internal game clock ticks at a different rate in the two versions. This isn‘t the classic old problem where a PAL version feels/runs slower, but from memory you’ll never see a time in the PAL version with a 3 as the least significant digit. I can't recall if this extends to all odd numbers in the hundredths column or not.

I have no idea if emulation maintains this behaviour. It was a concern at the time when I was participating in world-record attempts on real hardware.

(those days are long behind me)

I just grabbed the US version of Wipeout 3, since I figure that is the version most people here will be using so I should use the same to be consistent. Turns out the handling feels quite different, at least to me. I understated above when I said SE was a “little” floatier – I feel glued to the floor in US W3 by comparison.

Also, the jump shortcut I demonstrate in the clip above is seemingly impossible in US W3 -- at least at Vector speed, which is all I've tried for now.

Let's play Wipeout Fusion you cowards.

@“穴”#p130679 I‘m thinking the same, honestly! It’s less a race and more of a leisurely sunday drive.

@"rejj"#p130734 and here I thought the only addition to W3SE was more tracks and teams. huh! well heck. also I've never seen that skip before, that's incredible.

@"rejj"#p130748 THE PLOT THICKENS

@"Andy B"#p130766 I love the good people of this forum entirely too much to ask such a task of them lol.

yo

https://cohost.org/plumpan/post/2672056-oh-my-god-they-are-d

TL;DR basically every regional version of Wipeout 3 has differences big enough to influence times. Here's my proposal:

We need to chose a version of the game. I would assume the NTSC versions are more accessible (60hz etc). I'm partial to J over U, it feels a bit more fun to me and it's all in english anyway. I'd encourage anyone with an ODE or using emulation to try out the two real quick and report back.

I'm also partial to Phantom myself, if everyone else hates that maybe Rapier but I don't think going any slower than that would be a good idea.

The unlock codes were posted before but I'm going to clarify them since the sites don't actually mention the region differences. You set these as your default names in options > game setup and the screen will flash when correctly input.

NTSC-U: AVINIT/WIZZPIG/JAZZNAZ
NTSC-J: CRAFTS/ALLTRACK/PHANTOM

You can also hold down the direction to get through the letters faster in the default name screen of NTSC-J, coincidentally.

Looking forward to seeing more times up on the spreadsheet!

@“plum”#p130978 hey thanks for joining the forum, and congratulations on your incredible sega rally times!!

The main thing I'm learning is some games are pretty complicated when it comes to figuring out what stage to play and how

@“plum”#p130978 Woah, I honestly had no idea they were all so different. Obviously there‘s the difference you noted with WO3SE and lap times, I wonder if they’re mitigated (or amplified?) by running it at 60Hz via patch (not counting internal logic speed and possible difficulty in handling).

From memory though, I think I much prefer how WO3SE feels compared to literally any other version of the game (even in the entire series). There's definitely more flow and fluid motion to it which I much prefer, it just sucks that never carried over into later versions.

@"exodus"#p131000 This weeks challenge should be to find a game to play for the challenge.