let's discuss CRT TV ownership

That is such a cool thing to do.

3 Likes

Got my vga to component cable plugged in. Had to boost the brightness in the service menu a little since I have an older IO board on this MiSTer. I like composite and S-Video (I’d even take RF if I have to) but wow this TV looks awesome

18 Likes

looking for a CRT for my gf’s new apartment in Yakima, WA. Likely to find one out here in the country eventually.

A Sony kv-40xbr800 showed up on marketplace near me. They want 400 for it which is a little crazy even for a 40 inch crt.

Yikes, it weighs 300lb

1 Like

The year is 2001 and mega man battle network was already looking to the future of flat screen TVs, remarking on the old fashioned ones fondly

13 Likes

Finally found a suitable crt for homegirls new apartment here in yakima for $25. Somewhat dirty and yellowed but a great model and supposedly works. Manufactured 1999. Probably used for a kids room. Bought from an old farmer who only speaks Spanish, got to flex my Spanish skills doing business with him and he was confused to see we weren’t Latinx when we showed up. Just got home gonna test it now.

Not sure what the 1989/2006 sticker is/was for

11 Likes

An HD CRT showed up near me. I’m going to try to get it just for fun. I think I have a graphics card that can do 1080i though hdmi but I’d probably use it for ps2/3 games. I haven’t played 3d dot game heroes in a while.

I also just learned that the ps5 still supports interlaced.

9 Likes

CRT Scanlines is the best crt tv youtube channel.

5 Likes

I want a crt with grungy image quality what should I look for? Should I just remove the interference shielding? Or is it more finding one before solid state tuners took over?

1 Like

Now I’m looking up how much latency is added with uhf vhf transmitters

1 Like

That’s easy! Just pick up every crt you find for free or under $20 or whatever works for your budget and eventually one of them will be really fucked up but still functioning!

For trippy visuals, you can overdub old VHS tapes the same way you’d make a mix tape audio cassette and play around with VHS video tape distortion. I new a VJ once who majored in chemistry who understood how magnesium based video tape reacts to different chemicals. DM me if you want the tips I gleaned from him in that regard because it involves bodily fluids I shouldn’t mention here. I’ll just say it’s related to the way they used to make denim.

5 Likes

I’m mostly looking for speckly games bleed into the next pixel and not creating analog video art. I think just using RF inputs might be enough. Maybe I’ll just always keep my microwave running while I play games.

2 Likes

I would go with a TV set from the 1980s and use the UHF/VHF inputs

1 Like

yeah, that would be ideal. working ones are getting hard to find in my area. They tend to get stored in the garage and central Illinois is hot and humid and they get ruined.

If all you want is pixel bleed, composite input is gonna be fine for you. Even on my very nicely maintained JVC d-series, where I usually use the component inputs, if I switch to composite I get all that pixel bleed. That’s how I captured this video:

4 Likes

that’s cool. I also want the speckles caused by interference but that’s still super interesting. I also didn’t know that dithering could also refer to parallel lines or any form of intentional noise and not just hatching.

1 Like

If you want interference for some reason make your signal pass through other devices first. Unpowered splitter, vcr, link connectors together, etc.

3 Likes

or even better, really use the “Radio” in RF and broadcast it over the air.

5 Likes

Oh yes. I’m definitely going to try this. I’ve seen antenna amplifiers at thrift stores. I’m sure I’ll run into one. Thank you so much for bring it to my attention.

I lived near a university run radio broadcaster. It had something to do with studying the ionosphere. It caused interference with rf devices and made my nes look even worse than it normally does. I remember it changing the vibes of the games I was playing and how different of an experience it was playing them at friends’. I kind of want to replicate this with more modern games to see if I can drag that childhood experience into the present.

2 Likes

After several tvs falling through on marketplace, a free one popped up. It showed it working but had no details. I assumed from the pic it was 32 inches but didn’t want to bog down the deal with questions as crts have been vanishing fast. I went to pick it up and it’s 42 inches. I have no idea how to even get this into my 1927 house with doorways that are more narrow than contemporary houses. I’m sure I’ll figure it out but it’s going to be a trial.

I’m excited to play drakengard. I finally found it on disc.

16 Likes