Having a very normal morning on this very normal day.

indeed it is we who are missing digestive biscuits :pensive:

3 Likes

This thread made me do it.

8 Likes

I honestly thought they had made it across the pond, but now I realise it’s not used as a noun!

Maybe a digestif would be better?

2 Likes

No that’s just a drink ;) though the term has upper class connotations and no one says it outside of seeing it written on a menu at a restaurant.

I think we say tea cookies—if anything at all, I mean we don’t use the term because the food itself is not so common—or if you’re feeling dangerous you might affect some Frankenstein’s UK accent and say biscuits

3 Likes

I feel like we’re overlooking Mexico here. Would rather have an oblea than anything yet posted here tbh

5 Likes

With Mexico I think of savory more than sweet. I’d take central American nacho Doritos than us by a mile.

1 Like

Always wondered why it’d be English, he was born and grew up in Italy before going to university so I’d assume his accent would be Italian.

Oh the digestif was more for us to enjoy there. At least it doesn’t have the horrible connotations of the last word I used.

1 Like

you’ve just opened up a fresh avenue for confusion with what Americans call “biscuits”.

as best as I can tell, those are essentially an American version of scones? Americans – we are not dunking scones in our hot drinks!

4 Likes

sort of. we have scones too. biscuits are fluffier and preferably not as dry. typically served with gravy or as a side to southern cooking.

most americans would call digestives, biscuits (antipodes), etc. just “cookies” and use context to figure it out. but we also don’t really have set tea times and stuff. we do have coffee cake, though, which is really good.

4 Likes

I intentionally didn’t say biscuit to stop that confusion and all it did was create a whole new level of confusion!

• A cookie is what the US calls any kind of non US biscuit, even though in the UK and the most of the world a cookie is a cookie.
  • US Biscuits aren’t eaten the same way as a scone, usually with something savoury but the process is pretty similar (they’re both quick breads, as in no proofing needed).
  • dunking your digestive is not an expression I’ll ever say to an American ever again as I do not want to think what they imagine I’m actually doing.

However in the interest of education I will name a very famous UK cake - a steamed pudding made with suet and dried fruit that is served with custard.

I give to you… Spotted Dick

And yes I’ve had it before.

Edit: Pudding is the name of a dessert, AND a term for dessert. But I’ve had that conversation here before!

4 Likes

For the record the Americans on the forum 100% knew what you were saying and I was just taking the piss (another of your island community’s strange idioms not to be interpreted literally)

11 Likes

just bants mate

5 Likes

I’m in a minority here, I accept that. I choose to come here and having listened to the podcast enough for those wonderful “english” accents I’ve heard I know it’s all in jest. Mostly.

Fun fact, you can be taking the piss and taking a piss and in theory you could be doing both at the same time if you’re talking to someone while doing it.

3 Likes

is this customary in your country?

showing my hand: all this talk and the weather and the time of day point to tea time for me, and look what I’ve got

5 Likes

Was holding off cause there’s too many old people candy over here. And most of them are good!

Have you ever had a gloria? It’s like slightly different tasting cajeta made somewhat more solid with pecans. I think they are more of a northern thing though.

3 Likes

Mine was a theoretical than an actual custom. People do, but I don’t think it’s exclusive to the UK.

And wow, you’re classy than me when it comes to tea. I just go with Tetley

4 Likes

I should say look what the friend I’m cat-sitting for has got—this stuff isn’t available where I am in Vermont. If I have something to eat with tea it’s most often pumpkin bread, and less often banana bread or coffee cake

3 Likes

yes I like those they’re good. Those watermelon chile ones are nice. Guava and tamarind too of course.

1 Like

Whoa I just want to say I definitely know what a digestive biscuit is and they all say that on the package and to help with any confusion in America they put it in the cookie aisle so you know it tastes good.

5 Likes

Are digestives like social teas?

1 Like